What do they make in there?

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Typical "bass-awkward" approach. I made this building to cover a scenic dilemma where two tracks on different levels are unrealistically close to each other. I gave no thought, however, to what kind of industry this might be. Freight cars are loaded in tracks that actually enter the building. I've also placed a couple of tanks that hold...something... to the left of the grey part of the company and there is a spur that passes behind them and seemingly behind the rest of the factory. I'm pleased with the way this place is looking but WHAT do they make in there?!?
Any ideas?
Ralph
PS. I tried messing with the edit function and added some smoke to the stacks for fun. I can see this will take practice! :)

Attachments

• bldg3.jpg
    bldg3.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 289

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Ralph, isn't that the Sears shipping building for their do-it-yourself Churches, Schoolhouses and Barns? ... :) . Now I'm sure I've seen tanks of glue somewhere within The Gauge pages ... ;)

Oh, I didn't know they gave up selling those items in 1902 !! :( :(
(So, where are the coalburning locos???)

Errol

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
The first answer is "widgets".
Post holes?

What kinds of cars do you have that are orphans, that don't have an industry to go to? We could make up something that would be a destination/source for those, especially the oddball ones like pickle cars.

Any puns? when Herb Mitchell operated with us, we had Mitchell's Herbicides, whose product was "dead Herbs". ;) ;)

C

Catt

Ralph,it is soooooooo ovious that they makes widgets,whatsis's and roundtoits in that building.

I heard they also used to make thingamabobs too.

Nice lookin' building by the way. :D

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Bejeebers Ralph, I just gotta get me one of them fancy locos. No doubt Jon can name the manufacturer of that steam generating hustler ...:D :D :D (and he can tell us how the stoker powders the coal fast enough) :D

As to what gets made in the factory, are doodah's big enough to warrant that size of plant???

This kind of thread is where everyone shows their sense of humour.... next to Jon I rank high on the nutter list. :p

Errol

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks guys. Lest anyone think I actually drew that background, it's a stock image from gettyimages.com

I copied it into a separate layer in Photoshop, cut away the sky from Ralph's model shot (in another layer), which then let the background image show through. It's actually not that hard to do, but it sure is fun!

cheers
:D Val

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
That's a superb bit of digital wizardry (witchcraft? :) ) Val.
I had contemplated puting a backscene into Ralph's photo and I'm now glad I didn't, there isn't a hope in hell I could have done a scene as splendidly as you have. It's awsomely real.
I see your talent goes way beyond your exceptional modelling.

Errol

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
That's a great looking structure, Ralph!

Think of an industry that would receive shipments, as well as shipping frinished goods, so as to increase the variety of rail traffic to & from...
Chemicals, paint, fuel, machinery, etc...industries need these kind of shipments to maintain operations...

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
For a great building like that it has to be the RALPH RUM AND ROUGH . The rough being that awsome cider that gets delivered on a coal cart. It has another use as paint remover but is at its best when a wee drop of smooth is added to prevent abuse to the tongue and throat

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Styrene industry. "So boss, you want me to shove that pesky Paulsen kid into a vat of molten styrene if he talks union again, huh? Ya, ok, noones needsta know butyew anme. hehehe... We'll make a brake wheel outa hims! hehehe Teach his little plastic ass."