What do I put under the track?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Since I have decided to tear down my layout after the Holidays and then expand it and rebuild it I will be laying new track. As such I now have some questions, which I will post in several topics staring with this one.

I have decided to go with Atlas code 100 track due to its availability at my LHS. I will be using WS risers to make the grades and such. Now I need something to go under the track and top of the risers. Any recommendations?

I will be buying the track in small quantities and replacing it in small sections. Since I have to have the layout up and running (a condition imposed by the boss; I am only allowed to have the layout if the trains are running.:D ;) :p ) I will be reusing some of the EZ-Track. This time around I am doing it in small sections.

Tom, tell me about it, I have to replace all the telephone poles cause the last ones didnt stand up to the punishment of putting the board down in the basement after the holidays. :( :mad: :D

alex_mrrkb

Hi Tom !

On my N scale layout I use foamboard (or foamcore) as roadbed. It is very cheap and works like a charm. You can find it in several thickness at your local art store.

See what it looks like :

roadbedtest2.jpg

and look at my website for more info on how I do it:

http://www.mrrkb.com/mylayouts/axdrr/construction/roadbed.php

Good luck !

Pooh Bah
Tom: Check a bunch of the threads here for roadbeds and track laying.
I suggest you look at cork roadbed, the new rubber stuff, and the foamcore. See if your hobby shop carries Homabed. If you can find Homasote, it can be cut up for a thick roadbed. You should try laying a length of each to see how you like it and how well it holds nails and track spikes. Be carefull with the sub-roadbed, as small nails don't go into plywood very easily. You'll need some sort of roadbed to match up to the EZ track.

davidstrains

Unsupported Homasote will sag. You should have something rigid under it. I use 1/2" plywood with the 1/2 " homasote. I use cork for the roadbed.

jon-monon

Why do some use homostuff with cork over the top? So it's easier to get the nails into than the plywood? Why bother with the cork over the top, then?

jon-monon

My dad used to :mad: hate:mad: that answer!

"Jon, why did you take my radio all apart?"

"Because"

"Becvause what?"

"Just because."

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Vic

Originally posted by jon-monon
Why do some use homostuff with cork over the top? So it's easier to get the nails into than the plywood? Why bother with the cork over the top, then?

You don't want the track nails/spikes to go into the plywood. They transmit sound and vibration. The "homostuff":D ...ROFLMAO!...will hold them just fine.

I don't use any roadbed...just 1/2" plywood and 1/2" Homasote. You can buy Homasote roadbed with the bevel cut into it. But I'm cheap!!!:D :D :D :D

Railery

i'm going to try something new for road bed. i'm using the 1/2" plywood then plastic insulating foam that is used under a floating laminate flooring. Its sound proof, waterproof and u can cut it to any width u need. Its thickness is about 1/8". Then paint it with speckle paint and nail or glue your track onto it.:)