What do I need to make this smoke?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by RTGreen, Aug 31, 2005.

1. RTGreen

RTGreen New Member

I Just picked up this old locomotive yesterday, and I need to know if it takes liquid or pellet smoke. Could you guys give me the quick rundown on how you make these locos smoke?

Here is a picture of the Loco....2046.

2. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

3. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Connect it to 110V, it'll smoke! Note this only works once....

4. zedob

zedob Member

Yeah, but doing it that way generates a bluish smoke that isn't quite prototypical.:D
  5. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

I've always used smoke pellets on my 2046 & 736. The only engines I have that take smoke fluid are my old MARX steamers.

6. RTGreen

RTGreen New Member

Thats what I was thinking. I have an old Marx 666 steamer...it uses liquid smoke(It has a wick...I think). I didn't see an absorbent wick in the 2046...thats not to say it's not there, so I was guessing that it took pellets.
  7. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I thonk that Lionel used smoke fluid briefly in the 40s and then developed the pellets. I think the 2046 looks like a 50s engine, so would use the SP pellets.
    Any idea what date for it? I have to go to the library for reference works on this.
  8. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

9. RTGreen

RTGreen New Member

I'm pretty sure it's a 1953 model. The 4 window panes were only produced on this model in 1953.
  10. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

MY 1953 #2055 used smoke pellets. I don't think they even listed fluid at that time.
  11. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I don't think Lionel switched to fluid until the 1970s. Possibly later. The pellets are being made again in small quantities, but I know they've gone out of production several times over the years. I think K-Line was the last big company to make them. The pellets on the market today come from basically a one-man operation, selling them on Ebay.

I had my Dad's postwar locos converted over to fluid. Since neither was pristine, it doesn't hurt the collector value any (not that I'm worried about that with those trains). The unit costs about $12, and my local shop charged $10 to put them in. Since smoke pellets are a lot more expensive than fluid, the modification pays for itself.
  12. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Hey Greg:

Don't you have some old Flyer? All the post war Flyer engines use smoke fluid. I'm pretty sure the post war Lionel used pellets. The conversion sounds like a great idea, especially for the cost quoted.

13. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

14. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Hi Ted,

I no longer have any Flyer engines. I sold them a long time ago, and IIRC the one steamer I had didn't even smoke. The few cars I have are riding on scale trucks with Kadee couplers. I forgot about AF smoke units and not sure if they used liquid or smoke pellets. I see the answer above. I do know the SP smoke would leave a white residue on the steamer after an extended period of smoking.

15. JerrylovesTrns

JerrylovesTrns New Member

Hello RTGreen!

I can get your Hudson smoking again easily.

16. ben10ben

ben10ben New Member

Truthfully, there is no reason to pay to have your engine converted to liquid smoke. If the original pellet element is intact, you can put 2-3 drops of fluid at a time in it and it will smoke just as well, if not better than, a conversion.
  17. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

Jerry is a good source for refurbish and repair. Now as for pellets or liquid, liquid can be used in postwar engines. About 4 drops at the time. I've been doing that since the early 70's. Got two old engines running and smoking fine [ran them this afternoon] with drops. I do my own maintenance so when they get the shells off to grease and etc, I check the hole in the smoke unit [under the smoke "pot" to insure the piston can push air through] and that is it.
  18. 1688torpedo

1688torpedo Member

RTGreen ! That sure is a nice 2046 you've got! If it has the original Heater Element it will burn both Liquid or Pellets. Lionel came out with Smoke Fluid in 1957 and has used it ever since. If you need any parts for your Postwar trains , Just go to the Olsen toy trains website and they've got original & reproduction parts for Toy Trains. Good Luck..............Keith