What do I need to get started?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by JoeF, Dec 26, 2005.

1. JoeF

JoeF New Member

Hello, sorry if this doesn't exactly belong here, but I have some HO scale track (not enough for a decent sized layout yet), a locomotive and some cars, what exactly do I need/should I get, to get my track started? I'm completely lost on the electrical side of things, so if anyone could list what I'd need to start off my railroad, that would be much appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any online Canadian sites where you can purchase items that would help aswell. Thanks!
  2. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

:wave: welcome to the Gauge :wave: to get started you just need a place to lay track. is it sectional or flex? as far as wireing that depends on what you want track wise a simple oval only need to be hooked up to power pack. as far as suppliers i'll have to leave that to the Canadian members.:)
  3. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

My recommendation is find a table top and set up a simple loop or oval of track, and run some trains! You will need a DC power pack for trains to control the direction and speed of your locomotive. 2 wires will work temporarily - one from each DC terminal of your pack to each rail.

Rail connections can be made by soldering a wire to the rail, or by using a piece of track equipped with screw terminals for this purpose. If you are not comfortable soldering get a terminal track. Another option is a special rail joiner with a wire attached to it that is made by Atlas.

After you get the loop running, now it's time to start thinking and planning. Thinking about what your vision for your model railroad is. What scenes are you trying to recreate in minature? What railroads/eras/locomotives/equipment get your juices stirring? What kind of space do you have for a permanent layout? What features do you want most on your layout? What kind of operation will you be doing? Will you be alone, or will you have friends with you?

When you have figured some of this out, tell us more and we'll be glad to point you in the right direction.

yours in training
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Hi Joe! Which area of Canada are you in? You should try to see some other layouts for inspiration. Also try books like Great Model Railroads and Model Railroad Planning.
    Wiring can be simple or complex; it depends on what you're trying to do with it. With one locomotive you may be able to get away with 2 wires, or 2 wires and a few extra.