What Crane Should I get?

COMBAT

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Ok, leme take a stab at this one.

If you want to use one of these for a bridge scene, I would go with letter A.

B and C are more of a crane you would see on a high rise construction site, well, come to think of it, they all are something you are more likely to see on a high rise construction site than building a big bridge. These would be too big to build a normal bridge for vehicles and too small to build a railroad bridge. Usally when I see bridge construction, they have a few smaller cranes and one big crawler crane doing the heavy lifting.

How big is this bridge that you are going to build, is it tall and long or short and only a couple inches?

COMBAT

The span is about 200 ft in HO. The crane will help build the bridge on site. The other issue is getting the crane to the site. I need it to be smaller then a crawler. sign1

The bridge being built is being added to an area where an existing RxR bridge is and is being over used. LOL

The issue of blocking the channel with a barge will not work. That is a working channel and the bridge being built can not block the traffic. The bridge being built will be done by girder construction.

Wow, I do have an imagination dont I !:D

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
green_elite_cab said:
If its over a channel, don't you need a Barge instead? I don't think those cranes will help you over water.

Good point, If I was building this, I would use a barge and put a crawler crane on it. I have seen this also. I would also put one of those smaller cranes I mentioned on the side that has the yard that stores all the materials for the bridge.

Man, now I really want to do a scene like thissign1 This is a cool idea!!

COMBAT

COMBAT said:
The issue of blocking the channel with a barge will not work. That is a working channel and the bridge being built can not block the traffic. The bridge being built will be done by girder construction.

Please see above. :D

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Ok, then I would go with A

You got me all exited now and I want to do something like this, my mind is running wild right nowsign1 . Maybe I can make a module with something like this!!:D :D

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
TruckLover said:
Ok, then I would go with A

You got me all exited now and I want to do something like this, my mind is running wild right nowsign1 . Maybe I can make a module with something like this!!:D :D

This is your wallet speaking: please stop spending my money!sign1

COMBAT

OK, I ordered these. Yes, I ordered two. Why, because the price was GREAT, and I knew this big A crane was going to need a support crane.

A: The reason is because I can use the crane again later on other jobs. Its BIG but not to big.
23300.jpg

B: This is the support crane. It will do smaller jobs, help out on the BIG bridge build and support the BIG crane. :)

2676.jpg

The images are hosted off site. Sorry about the screen size! :eek:ops:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Cool, Were did you order them from?

And yes they are both kits and they are a bit of a challange to build!! But nothing that can't be done without some patients and time.

COMBAT

COMBAT said:
OK, I ordered these. Yes, I ordered two. Why, because the price was GREAT, and I knew this big A crane was going to need a support crane.

A: The reason is because I can use the crane again later on other jobs. Its BIG but not to big.
23300.jpg

B: This is the support crane. It will do smaller jobs, help out on the BIG bridge build and support the BIG crane. :)

2676.jpg

The images are hosted off site. Sorry about the screen size! :eek:ops:

Crane A, for rent in the same city I live in.
http://www.maximcrane.com/Rentals/index.html

Crane B, for rent in the same city I live in.
http://www.phoenixcrane.com/Crane%20Files/ht8690t.pdf

Had me worried for a sec. I have seen Crane A on the highways here travelling. Its large, and in many pieces. :)

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
I was thinking you got them from there, they seem to have some cool stuff and yes they do have great prices!!

Can't wait to see some pics. of the cranes

COMBAT

Well, you will get to see some pics, but the wife is making me wrap them up after I check them to make sure they shipped OK. I will take some pics of it for ya! :)