What color do I paint the ...?

Around the edge of my layout I have a 6"-8" fascia board made of masonite. It rises about 1 1/2" above the layout for fall protection (from occasional cats, not trackwork), and I have painted it a dark green. My question is what color should I paint the interior side? The rough masonite side is visible from many angles, and looks ugly in photos.

nalmeida

It always depends on the colours you like most, in my case I like pastel colours soft tones, they always go with anything you put around them!

RailRon

Is the upper edge of your fascia panel dead straight?

I have a similar situation on my layout. I haven't added my fascia yet, but here is what I'll do:
I'll cut the top of the fascia with small ups and downs, giving a softly rolling landscape contour. On the inside I'll pull up the scenery from track level up to the fascia top edge. On this strip between track and layout edge I'll add rocks, shrubbery - you get the idea.

This has the advantage that your trains move THROUGH a landscape and not along the edge of an unbelievable high cliff. With this trick you even add more realism to the layout.

Ron

siderod

Good idea Ron, i might need to try that wiht my re-fascia-ing project...is that a word? Anyway, since i model N, i wouldn't need 1.5 inches, i'd only really need .5-.75.

petey

Pulling up the the grade to the height of the top of the fascia is a great idea. Otherwise I would consider painting the trackside surface, generally, the same as the ground cover at its base. Of course this would change from place-to-place on the layout.

brakie

I concur with Ron..That technique will vastly improve the looks of the layout (layout being spoken in general usage).. :thumb:

Ron, I use that technique around most of the layout, nothing improves looks like driving through the landscape. My problem area is a 30" radius teardrop peninsula with a 28.5" radius offset mainline. No real room for anything but ballast and a bit of groundcover. I just hate looking across the peninsula and seeing the bare masonite. I was leaning towards petey's suggestion but didn't know if there might be something else.

Do you have a picture? Maybe that will help stir up some thoughts, I know that visuals help me a lot. :D Depending on how much work you want to do, maybe you could redo the top 1 1/2" and change it to plexi glass, you wouldn't have to paint or scenic it because you could see right through it.

Freelancer

Good idea Freelancer...here's one where I have run the scenery a bit higher than track level. I don't want to lower the fascia here as it borders a 24" aisle squeeze point and Bill's cows need protection from elbows.

Attachments

• july5 007q.jpg
    july5 007q.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 118
Here's another further down where the track comes to within 3" from the edge. For the record I use the plexiglass on my upper level.

Attachments

• july5 008q.jpg
    july5 008q.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 115
Here's another thought, depeding on how well your artistic skills are, you could try painting the fascia to look like a stone wall. Or maybe something else that would look even more realistic is if you did what Casey Feedwater did and build a rock wall out of plaster. I think that the overall thickness of the plaster was actually thin, just enough to cover the front of the material he was covering, and then he carved the stones into the wall. It is very impressive and realistic looking, I beleive his thread is in the acadamy titled Stonewallin'. It would probably look pretty good in most places, but after going around the entire layout, it might get old. You could use a variation of things, stone wall, tall bushes, rail tie retaining wall, tall grass. Don't know if this helps any.

Freelancer