what can you all tell me about this lionel engine? pic' inside (i think..lol)

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Jun 26, 2006.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i just won this one on ebay today i thought it was neat. this is what the seller wrote about it. can anyone give my a value? and the year/'s it was made, the way i understand it, these was not made to sell to the public. any info about it is helpful. thanks

Attached Files:

2. Billman730

Billman730 New Member

Cute. It must have been a good time to work for lionel back then. DC makes it intersting. Wonder if it is HO sized. DC is the norm there. As to value, I am seeing many great old Lionel stuff go cheap on e-bay. I am in a special type of music restoration business and see it there as well. Young people see no value in old things. Hard to compare against the flashing lights and shine of new. I got caught up myself. Now I buy old items just cause I remember seeing them once, or I broke mine as a kid.
  3. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

I've used HO transformers to run my DC Lionel trains. My son has the Redwood Express steam set and its transformer is small and adequate for the track included. Add to the layout and a large HO transformer was needed. While my boys were in elementary school we would set up rug layouts for a couple of days and my Bachmann transformer from the On30 sets did a fine job running the small DC motored engines. Actually I use my Bachmann transformers for my S scale test track and O scale switching layout. My wife says I'm frugal. :D

Greg Elems
  4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I picked up an in-box Lionel starter set from the mid-1980s at the end of May. It's a DC set. The transformer looked like every other HO transformer I've ever seen. Using DC let them make the sets a lot cheaper but it sure has been a source of confusion ever since.
  5. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

maybe this is my problem, i guess im not sure what my lionel engines run on, i been running them on HO transformers i have an old lionel type SW transformer 130 watts, 120 volts 60 cycles, but its got a short in the end of the cord, so i cant use it, but it lights up and hums, i going to replace the plug and see if it will work.

i have this other lionel transformer that my dad got me to run my HO when i was a kid , i just looked at it and it says AC only, but i used it for my HO for years, and it works gteat for my lionel. i have an marx engine that runs works on 3 of my HO transformers, and my santa fe #218 engine runs on my AC trancformer and my other HO ones but runs the best with the AC one.

am i not using the right transformers? i have not got the new DC steam engine in the mail yet. i did not even know trains ran on differant currants. now im comfused
  6. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Your old SW transformer is an AC unit. It will burn up your DC engines. Ask me how I know. :D Stick with the DC transformer no matter what gauge it's labeled for. I've pulled apart my small single truck diesel engines, and they have small DC motors, probably the same size as HO engines. I'd expect that engine to have the same thing. If you can check inside without damaging it, it would be worth it to see what size it is.

Good luck,
    Greg Elems
  7. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

so what is my diesel santa fe and texas special , and my marx engine?, all made in the 1950's AC or DC?
  8. Marxed

Marxed Member

cool find!

all your marx and most of your lionel are AC

that blue lionel is DC, i have the same engine, but in different colors. all you need is an average HO transformer, you hook it up to your HO track just like any other transformer.

what ever you do, don't run that on AC, and don't run your other trains in DC... they may work at first, but will ruin your engines.

if you want to use that on the same track as your other engines, just make sure you have the right transformer on and the one that isn't being used is disconnected from the track, and all should be good!

if the AC / DC thing gets confusing, just pull out your radio and crank up the AC/DC :D
  9. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

ok when i run them on my AC type 4060 lionel transformer, the farther it gets away from the piece of track that the wire hook to the engine runs slower, and when it get around closer to it , it speeds back up again, why is that? when i had an DC transformer hooked up, ( thank god for this forum to get the AC/DC thing figured out) they ran even speed all the way around.
  10. Billman730

Billman730 New Member

You say "them". If you are talking about ac type trains and the engine slows down away from the power track you may have dirty connections in the rail pieces or the engine needs a bit more power to maintain speed. Do not run a dc HO type engine on AC. Or vice versa. You will heat the old windings and open the motor coil rendering the motor useless.
  11. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

talking about the engine slows down away from the power track
  12. Marxed

Marxed Member

if your lionel DC train gets slower on the back stretch when running on AC power, just count it down as because your running the wrong transformer. just as long as you dont have slowing problems with AC on AC or DC on DC your fine... don't risk running stuff on the wrong transformers... if you have problems with DC on DC and AC on AC, you can split your power wires and add a lock-down to the back. also clean your track and see if your connecting pins are dirty. if your track is under 10foot long, you really arn't going to need a second lock-down.
  13. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

lock down? is that the peise that clips to the track to hook up the wires? that i can move to any piese of track? i think ill move the one i got to the side that is the slowest, to see if its still slow in that spot, , if the slow spot moves then its not the track,

id say its over 10 feet , maybe 15 now, but when the bugs are out of it it will be longer.

and it slow down on ac with ac.
  14. Billman730

Billman730 New Member

Yes it is the piece that clips on older style Lionel track. Run a heavy wire from the transformer to the second feed don't jump off of the first connection. Just like in house wiring, these home runs as they are called seem to work best if you run right back to a terminal block or transformer connections.
  15. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

ok i got another lock on, do i run a set of 2 wires ti each lock on, or 1 wire to each? cuz i hooked up 2 wires to each and its like a dead short. will only run with 1 lock on,

i did get the plug replaced on the 130watt type sw transformer. runs better with it on one lock on, but still slower at one end, but not near like it was.

and i was going to get new curves that was not as tight of a turn then what i got so i could keep the engine on the track but i found out that they ws taller rails then the rest of the track and the pins that hook them togeather was not the same size as what i already got, so i just got some new straight track. my engine will end up on its side with the slowest of speeds.

any ideas on that?
  16. Marxed

Marxed Member

you gotta besure you have both positive wires going to the center track when you add two lock downs or it will not work ;)
  17. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

wow, got this engine in the mail sat. it just flys around the track! i like it. i think i got my 15.00 bucks worth!....lol
  18. Marxed

Marxed Member

awesome! :D
  19. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

ozzy: Lionel makesthree types of track. It sounds like you have O27. O is bigger and heftier and doesn't like to connect to O27. (The third type is Fastrack and it's completely different.)
    I don't think you want your DC and AC power connected to the track at the same time (unless to separate loops) as they will fight each other. You do need to connect both wires -- electricity goes out and then has to come back.
  20. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

Enjoy your engine, did you get any cars with it?

What cars if any went with it.

That seems like it might be rare.