What Are Your Favorite Electric Locomotives?

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by Chessie6459, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

OK everyone since we know what your favorite Steam and Diesel Locomotives are now is the time to see what your favorite Electric Locomotives are.
  2. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Let's start with the obvious, and my favorite:

Not my picture, but my favorite paint scheme.

Attached Files:

3. Hmmmm....that's a good one. GG1? Of course! EP-5? You bet! But, ya know, I just really like the little GE light steeple cab switchersand Baldwin Class D motors. Oh...and passenger MUs, too! :thumb: :wave:

Russ :sleeping:
  4. Oh yeah? You big loco guys get all of the attention! Well, here Mr. GG1...try THIS on for (small) size! :D Not my picture, either. From the Sacremento Northern website. One of MY favorites! :thumb:

Russ :) ;)

Attached Files:

5. Okay, Okay. Sorry...didn't mean to get carried away! ;) :oops: The GG1 is THE most recognized locomotive in the world. Here's a postcard from my collection showing the morning line-up at Sunnyside Yard. Great shot! :thumb:

Attached Files:

• gg1s.jpg
      File size:
      60.4 KB
  6. interurban

interurban Active Member

You know!!!!!

That is a very hard question Livesteamer for a juice jack to answer:p

Each and every road had there type of motive power, and we sparks just droool at them all!
    BUT I have always favoured the London and Port Stanly R/R.
    It was the first Canadian Elec that I studied and had good access to..
    Here is a pic from there achives.
    Shwing the two types of power the used.

Attached Files:

7. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

Favorite Electric Locomotives

I'll add my vote for the GG1, too, closely followed by the GE E33, as first used on the Virginian and then spread out to other roads, including "my" New Haven.

I have to add that I do have some enthusiasm for light steeple cabs in general, too.

Even though I grew up along the New Haven Shore Line, with its 4 track electrified main, I have always tended to be a steam and diesel man; but my interest in juice jacks is growing.
  8. Chessie6459

Well to start off here are my favorites, AA-1, GG-1, E-33, E-44, E-44a, P-5, P-5a, P-5b, P-5am, DD-1, DD-2, B-1, L-6, L-6a, R-1, E-2b, E-3b, E-3c, FF-1, FF-2, O-1, O-1a, O-1c, R-1, and Odd-D . If you look at it this way I liked all the Pennsylvania Railroad Electrics. I favor the steam engines more.
  9. Chessie6459

Here are a few of my favorites.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  10. Flangehead

Flangehead Member

I agree with Livesteamer about the PRR electrics, but I also like all side rodded electrics and the Milwaukee's Bi-Polars. Remember when Bi-Polar didn't mean something else?
  11. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

as to quote Conner Macleod from the movie Highlander
    "there can be only one"

GN # 5011

Attached Files:

12. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

IDs please

Could you oblige us with some descriptions of those PRR electrics, please?
  13. Chessie6459

Sure can,
    The first picture is a FF-2, The second picture is a B-1, and The third one is a DD-1.
  14. jetrock

jetrock Member

I'll cast another vote for the lovely SN GE steeplecabs!!

Heck, for the SN, those were fairly big...of course, 1020/420 was bigger, but that was a homebrew job!