What are ther great engines and the cheap engines

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
What are the realy good engines and who makes crap to aviod?

Also good but reasonably priced engines.

I only have 48 hours to get an answer. Post soon and often.

346863686%7Ffp33%3B%3Enu%3D3278%3E7%3A9%3E%3B%3C9%3EWSNRCG%3D3233656%3B%3B3568nu0mrj

stuart_canada

Feb 12, 2005
guess that sort of depends on your idea of cheap and good.
almost any athearn , bachmann spectrum, are good locomotives, if you want better go for the Gensis series from athearn, atlas, kato,.
i would recommend you stay away from the locomotives that come in sets with track and cars. they are usually your lower valued models

L

lester perry

If you are asking about HO I would have to pretty much agree with Stuart_canada. But add that P2K & Heritage are realy nice runners and very reasonable. I will probably gret knocked for this one i am not all that mpresed with Broadway Limited. I have one and it is not the best I have and it is a little pricey.
Les

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Everyonbe's entitled to their opinions Lester! We always appreciate it if members express disatisfaction with a manufacturer the way you just did, as in "I didn't have the best luck with this brand"....instead of "_____ manufacturer stinks!" :)

For myself I've been happy with my blue box Athearns in the $30-40 but know that more expensive locos from Atlas, for example, tend to run smoother and more quietly.
Ralph

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
I must have at least ten Atlas engines that i have run for years. They have all been in the $100.+ range. All have been reliable running engines.

I think basially you get what you pay for.

Good luck,

Allan

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
lester perry said:
...i am not all that mpresed with Broadway Limited...
Les

I'm with Ralph, much better than, "It ----s.":thumb: They're pretty and the ones I've seen at the club behave well but they are way outta my league and budget.

Athearn Blue BOx is the best low end product out there especially if you get the later ones with the skew wound motor and brass flywheels. The others mentioned are good as well, just a step or two upwards in price. Interestingly, the motors and drive trains in most P2K locos are Athearn.

L

lester perry

I have to agree with you guys on the Athearn BB. But they are hard to find now. I guess they are not in high demand anymore.
Les

stuart_canada

Feb 12, 2005
i forgot all about P2K units from life like, they are very good.
i just reccommend that he stay away from the lower end units that are sold in non hobby stores, sets or what ever. if it costs less then 30 bucks stay away from it unless it is on sale.
athearn, bachmann spectrum, life like P2K, walthers, kato, atlas, broadway, and so on are good brands and lines. most of the better lines have even different levels of models.
first thing find yourself a good hobby store to shop at.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Totally depends on what you are trying to achieve, and what you are willing to do. If you want top quality diesel locos out of the box, the others are steering you correctly. If you are willing to repaint your locomotives, but not willing to rebuild mechanisms or redetail, then look for those qualities. There are others who prefer niche eras or railroads, and may take advantage of an otherwised undesirable locomotive that comes close enough to bash, detial, remotor, or regear into something that matches their desired prototype and runs well.

Along those lines, I'll happily relieve you of any Roundhouse/MDC Shays that do not measure up to your standards. :)

yours in having fun

Canopus

Mar 16, 2006
Cornwall UK
Stay away from Stewart Hobbies unless you're absolutely desperate to own one of the locos they sell (for instance if they're the only people who make that model in your price range). They're a nightmare to work with, totally user unfriendly (just try fitting the glazing in a C630 hi hood and you'll see what I mean), and in most cases even a second hand atlas u36c would give you a smoother and quieter drive than the overpriced stewart models. Also for the lack of details they're incredibly expensive.

As for a great engine, the Atlas U23b is a wonderful thing. Reasonably priced, beautifully smooth, great detail, and very pleasing to own.