What are the odds?

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by thewoodengraver, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Monday my Wife was supposed to ride her bicycle into town as part of her long-distance training (long story). We are avid bicyclists riding nearly 25 miles round trip for shopping, carrying our groceries on a Bykaboose. Oneday we will ride from Pearblossom to Eureka (800 miles) and then turn around and come home.

For some reason, she did not go, and we went for a walk instead. Near the end of our walk we stopped at the post office and met 5 incredible people. There was Vernon (50) Michele (40?) and 3 of Michele's children ages 11, and 2 1-1/2 year old twins, all strapped to bicycles, on a 4000 mile trip from Portland Oregon ( the long way) ending up in Washington DC.

Read about it HERE.:grin:

These incredible people ride an average of 100 miles a day, stopping for talks and workshops along the way.
    My wife and I are considering joining this little group...at very least as a host.

If our plans went as usual, we would never have met them...what are the odds? :???:
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That is awesome! Took a 2000 mile bike trip when I was in high school - would probably keep over now... Going to go check that site out :D
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Wow! That is quite the great thing they are doing there. if you do decide to join up for a while let us know how it goes! Thanks for sharing this with us Phil.
  4. Millimodels

Millimodels Member

Slightly off topic, but last night in conversation about how we are scared about the security of our children in modern society I told what my father used to have to do when going on holiday in summer. As his parents were working he and his brother, aged 14 and 12, bicycled from Merseyside to Somerset, about 250 miles, to stay with relatives.

Robin Madge
  5. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I just bought a bike this weekend, but the only way I'll ever do more than a few miles would be with a motorcycle!!! I'm old, beat up, and mostly lazy....

Pretty impressive stuff by you, Phil, and them!!
  6. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Yep. Same here. born in cumbria (that's in the UK for you guys overseas). Biked from barrow in the south, up the coast, through Workington, my home town.To Carlisle in the north. Not 250 miles, but far enough for me, as a 12 year old.

It's a shame kids are not safe to go outside now a days.

7. thewoodengraver

Having fear is one thing, but letting fear stop you from living is the same as PRAYING FOR what you are afraid of. Besides, life is no scarier now than it was 100 or 200 or 1000 years ago. Just more people, and as a society we have become fat,lazy,sissy and complacent...that is all.

" Throw off those chains of reason, and your prison disappears!"...and
    " Get on your Bike and RIDE!!!".
  8. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

How much of the cycling are the older kids doing? Im guessing the kids with nappies are being towed along in trailers, which Id love to do if they have the space for me??

John John
  9. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Yay Queen!!!

10. Kaz

Kaz Member

I certainly agree its no scarier, but it is more dangerous, theres the never ending traffic and all their 'safety' measures, air bags, seat belts, crumple zones.... it seems they 'they're safer' so they drive faster. As a father (and, out of choice, a non car owner) I am concerned.
  11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

odds?? odds??

Karma, fate, destiny...................... heck

it was just meant to happen.:grin: Just one of life's little mysteries!

Smile................ retain and remember...............and wait for the next one!

12. thewoodengraver

The twins have a trailer pulled by Vernon(tows 300lbs total), the 11 year old girl pedals behind Mom on a tandem-hitch thingy...but...I'm assuming you want to be pulled? lol

On the subject of cycling...check out this human-powered motorhome...
    A homeless man in Oregon is a prime example of making the best of it.
  13. thewoodengraver

Thanx John!
    In our lives there are no " coincedences"...just pure magic!:roll:
  14. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

That looks pretty sharp, I bet that he could sell a few of those to the biker community.

Well at least to those who live in fairly flat terrain, perhaps with a solar panel on the roof and an electric motor to give some help on hills for the rest.

15. thewoodengraver

" Master complicator!!!" lol
    Kaz, just imagine an impenitrable blue egg surrounding you and your loved ones...also helps to be encircled by a Celtic knot...be prepared, be careful, and drop fear as anything useful.
  16. thewoodengraver

I think I remember reading that the roof is a solar panel.

I had an idea to build one in the shape of a Porter 0-4-0...though I have no idea why...lol
  17. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

It seemed like a good idea at the time?

My standard explaination...<g>
  18. Kaz

Kaz Member

Ah! the Oregan homeless man.... reminds me of that wonderful and uplifting film The Straight Story

if you ain't seen it, go get it!
  19. 46rob

46rob Member

Life is actually much less dangerous currently, than in years' past. The dangers we face toda are mostly ghosts of our own, and the meda's making. Cars and roads are better and safer..modern medicine makes survival a high probablility, wheither from accident or disease. Modern communications allows us to get help almost anywhere (there are a few dead spots, yet).
    Problem is the news media, which blows things out of proportion and has us thinking that disaster is only a moment's loss of vigilance away.
  20. thewoodengraver

It is quite refreshing when someone " gets it"..

Too many people using television as role models and believing the lies.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.