What aircraft is this from

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by angevine, Jun 28, 2006.

1. angevine

angevine Member

Dear all,

Whilst going through some archived material on my Hard Drive I came accross my reference photo's of WW2 that I used to use when plastic modelling.

One of the pictures caught my eye as I cannot recall what aircraft it is from. If any one knows I would love to know and also if there is a paper model of this craft even better.

The only info I have is the filename 194-tbd_devastator_gun.jpg

My reference collection, although only small and of WW2 is available to all who want it. I have colour pics of British, American, German, Russian, Japanese and others. If you want the files then email me and let me know.
  2. Willja67

Willja67 Member

My guess would be the Douglas TBD Devastator, a torpedo bomber in service with the U.S. Navy a the beggining of WWII but withdrawn from from front line duty shortly after the battle of Midway where several squadrons were totally wiped out.
  3. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Here is some information about the Douglas TBD Devastator
    TBD Devastator

The site has some links to other sites with more info.
  4. angevine

angevine Member

Thanks guys,

That clears up one pic, now going to sort through the rest... I might be back. Hope you don't mind!

5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Bottom right corner of the picture...... ;-)

6. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Not to mention the file name :grin:
    >>The only info I have is the filename 194-tbd_devastator_gun.jpg<<
  7. angevine

angevine Member

I know now, must have been having a blonde moment! :roll:
  8. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

It happens to all of us.

Heck sometimes I can not find my glasses, and the wife has to tell me I've got them on! We all over-look the obvious.:grin:

9. angevine

angevine Member

Ok guys, got another one for you.

This time I have absolutely nothing to go on not even the filename 067-aes.jpg.. Any ideas?

This beast does look like it would make a really good model.. If you know the plane and you know if there is a model to go with it, please help me out.

Kind regards,
  10. rkelterer

rkelterer Member

the photo shows the he-115 (in norwegian waters)

greetings from austria
  11. rkelterer

rkelterer Member

another He-115

Attached Files:

12. angevine

angevine Member

You guys are just too good. Do you know if there is a paper model available for this plane?
  13. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Well done spotting the type of aircraft, but how on earth can you tell that is Norwegian water???!!! You lot are waaaaay too good for me!

14. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

So....Who's the guy standing outside the cockpit?

15. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

That's the guy hitchhiking!:grin:

About models..........John Dell is currently(?) working on a He-111, I suggested this would be a very good spinoff. I hope he decides to do it.

16. rkelterer

rkelterer Member

hi boys,

nothing magic 8) - I found the plane in one of my aircraft books. so I tried a google picture search, and there was the same picture. following the link to the original page I found the comment about the location, but, sorry, no names :-D

greetings from austria
  17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I'm glad everyone took my little joke so well! :grin:

Sometimes things can be taken the wrong way when typed instead of spoken.

Thanks Raimund, for the pics,info, and your good sense of humor!:wink:

18. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I like the looks of this bird. It looks like it would be an enjoyable build.

By the way, what are the things sticking up and down, out of the tail wings?

19. charliec

charliec Active Member

Horn balances for the elevator. The idea is to have a balance weight in front
    of the elevator hinge - it means the mechanical effort required to move the elevator is reduced. (No powered flight surfaces on this vintage aircraft).

20. angevine

angevine Member

He's the guy you normally meet at traffic lights to clean your windscreen with his snotty hankey.