What a Year for The Gauge!

Peter T Davis

Apr 14, 2004
New England
www.zealot.com
I was just having a sneak peak at the monthly stats for December and thought everyone would be interested to know. By the end of the month, The Gauge has received 60,000 visits (a visit being someone coming to look at the site). That's about 2,000 people coming to look at The Gauge each day. At the end of last year, it was around 1,600 people per day looking at The Gauge. That's about 25% growth over the year, in terms of eyeballs each day.

That's a good deal of people you're influencing when you post something here! We have over 4,000 members who have contributed over 166,000 postings in the forums and 700 wonderful pictures in the gallery.

I hope to keep the pace up and am actively planning new features to add in 2006. Also, if there's anything you'd like to see The Gauge do, please tell me about it! Thanks very much for a wonderful year!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Well, I have been here since October 2002, and been a moderator since April 2005. Despite the huge growth over that time (including this past incredible year) I have to say that The Gauge has remained the friendliest, most helpful place to come for model railroad information, advice, and fellowship.

Andrew

C

Catt

It's really been an UP! year except for the loss of a very good friend here at the Gauge.

I'm very proud of what the Gauge has become and very pleased to have played a small part in it.

May the next five years be even better than the first five.My complimments to the cast and crew. :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
How can you improve on sucess?:thumb: :thumb: I for one have been pleased with the activity and the people that frequent here. I great group, full of information and ideas. And I have to agree with the others that this is indee the most friendly and informative train forum on the Net. If my contributions were just a little help in that regard, then I feel good. In any event, this past year has been fun and I've learned a lot in the process.:wave: :wave:

Oh, well Peter,... since you asked, just one or two tiny things. Like a spell checker... and maybe a few more smilies, not that I would use them or anything, but for everyone else. :D :thumb: :wave: :p :rolleyes: ;) :sleeping: :confused: :cool: :D

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
I've already stated elsewhere how much fun it is "working"(???) here... :D The cast & crew (as Catt said) are really the best :) :)

I have to second Ezday's comments about a spell check and smilies too :) :)

Also, we still would like a chat room where you can directly post pics directly into the chat.

I'm amazed about the gallery - too cool!!! That's a decent amount of pics!! I'm sure a lot of them are the faces & ID badges etc :D :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Peter T Davis said:
The smilies will be easy, chat room and spell checker are another story. ;)
Hey, ya asked what we wanted, ya didn't say it had to be easy stuff only.:D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

Peter, we are greatful for what we have, anything else will be a bonus as far as I'm concerned. :thumb: :thumb:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I was at the GATS show earlier this month when I noticed some guys wear badges from another forum. When one found out that I was a Gauger, he said, "Oh, our competition..." To which his friend responded, "Give them some respect. Remember when our site crashed we were welcomed there 'til we could get back online. If it weren't for them, we wouldn't be here." Pretty cool...

Yeah...smilies, more smilies...maybe a shopping spree everytime we break another 1000 posts :thumb:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
shaygetz said:
I was at the GATS show earlier this month when I noticed some guys wear badges from another forum. When one found out that I was a Gauger, he said, "Oh, our competition..." To which his friend responded, "Give them some respect. Remember when our site crashed we were welcomed there 'til we could get back online. If it weren't for them, we wouldn't be here." Pretty cool...

Yeah...smilies, more smilies...maybe a shopping spree everytime we break another 1000 posts :thumb:

Those guys were wrong! One of the things that is great about model railroading is that we don't "compete" with one another unless it is in a modeling contest or photo contest. A friend of mine who was into rc cars was frustrated because everything is "speed secrets." His son won a race with an out of the box car and every one was trying to get his "speed secrets" from him. I enjoy The Gauge because it is such a friendly site.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
shaygetz said:

This is why we designed our "Gauge ID badges" :D :D I wear mine to every show I go to :) GATS included. Of course, another member & I were in the same room & missed each other at the last one :( :( We'll try again in PA in April :D :D

~~~ And Russ is right... We seem to be the only Board (Or one of the few boards), that doesn't care to compete with other modes of internet information sharing. :( The others seem to think they are competing.... :(

I don't know, I guess it's a "guy" thing :D :D :D

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
N Gauger said:
I don't know, I guess it's a "guy" thing :D :D :D

Anytime I hafta play "Manly Man", I just have my two P2K E8s walk outta the yard with a fifty plus car train :thumb: That usually takes cares of any remaining testosterone I might have to flex. ;)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
BTW, I think we'll be getting a spell check within the next few weeks, it's one of the things I'm testing out now.

What!!?? Is this "hate a wizzard week??!!", Did Harry Potter step on your toes!!??? What kind of fun is that going to be, if every time I cast a spell, YOU are going to check it!!..........what?...no?... uhhh, not "that" kind of spell? :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :D :D :D

If the gauge were a book, even with all the "nonessential remarks" edited out, we'd still need heavy equipment to carry it, and a year to read it all. I have learned, been entertained, had many good laughs, met good people, had enjoyment added to an already enjoyable hobby, and, hopefully, contributed.
To all the members here, then, goes my thanks, and congratulations, for creating something of lasting value, and, for all the positive contributions to our hobby. My thanks also for the efforts of the "staff", to maintain the "environment", in which we all can find intelligent, and helpful information, and evaluation. Finally, thanks Peter, for "the world", in which all this is possible.
As the New Year begins; To friends, and family we have lost, peace, and rememberance. To friends and family who are suffering, perseverance, and patience. to all, strength, and faith.