What a MESS

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Renovo PPR, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

Oh, I will add that I recognize the forum I linked to has extensive corporate sponsorship, and I believe the owner actually does it full time... so I'm not expecting The Gauge to compete feature-for feature with it... I just wanted to provide what I thought was a good example of thumbnails put to good use.
  2. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

AWESOME job guys, it is getting better!!!
  3. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Guy Behind the Curtains

The concept behind those limitations were to have tighter restrictions on images that were posted directly to the threads, to limit the damage to people viewing threads who are on dial up. And, to get people to upload bigger images in the gallery. The limits are subject to change, when we figure out where our 'sweet spot' is.

I think RC Groups is doing exactly what I suggested in my earlier post. I can easily set the thumbnail size bigger. Thanks for providing the example for everyone to have a look. Anyone else like what they're doing?
  4. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

As one of those guilty of posting pictures everywhere, (hey, I usually give you not only the picture, but the thousand words that it's supposed to be worth, too! );) it would be fine with me if you want to use thumbnails instead of full-size pictures in the threads. Personally, I find it a nuisance when viewing a thread with a lot of pictures, as it breaks the continuity when you're trying to tell a story, but it's no more than that, so let's keep our dial-uppers happy.
    I was pretty content with the old Gauge, but one change that I would've liked to have seen would be the ability to move my own photos around within the Gallery, both within an Album and between Albums. Probably too much to hope for. :(
    On the plus side, things seem to have calmed down a bit, and I'm sure things will get better as Peter fine tunes things over the coming days. :)

5. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

As for pictures, I liked the way they were handled on the previous version of The Gauge. To me, that was perfect. Giving DoctorWayne the ability to post pics along with a storyline was really wonderful. And tutorials are better with the pics showing up in the threads without having to click on them. Dinky thumbnails at the bottom of the post just don't cut it for me.

I also thought the 480x640 limitation was right on target.

And, may I mention that at home, I am on dial-up. But I would rather sacrifice speed than sacrifice everyone's ability to show off their stuff!
  6. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

That's true. What I do-do, is ,unfortunately, come on every other day and that helps greatly too.

Gotta say to myself whoa- boy! :D

But thanks for offering this great forum to us- it's great to hear what others are doing the other side of the Atlantic instead of just reading Model Railroader. :)
  7. FiatFan

FiatFan Member

Peter, in a couple of your posts, you mention new features. Please don't take the time to list them now but after the dust settles, could you or one of the Admins take a moment to list them? Thanks again for all your hard work, both Peter and the rest of the Admins.

8. CPTyler

CPTyler New Member

I cant get pictures to post!!
  9. Peter T Davis

Good idea!
  10. Peter T Davis

Are you trying to upload as an attachment?

Or, are you using the image tags to post a picture from another site?

Does it give you an error message? (if so, please post it)
  11. nolatron

nolatron Member

So what exactly is the name of the site now? Zealot? Zealot - The Gauge? Certainly isn't the "The Gauge" anymore to me.

I guess I don't understand why The Gauge couldn't have just been upgraded and made nicer and remained soley "The Gauge", independent of other hobbies. That's why I liked the place.

Is Zealot.com some site you joined Peter? Or is all this your creation? Guess I'm just confused because to me zealot.com just came outta nowwhere. I loaded up my bookmark yesterday and thought the domain expired, or something crazy happened. Took me 5 minutes to figure out the site changed.
  12. Peter T Davis

13. jlg759

jlg759 Member

When trying to add a blog which I think would be cool for my model railroad I get this message
    Unable to add cookies, header already sent.
    File: /home/zealot/public_html/blogs/blog_global.php
    Line: 75
    What is this and how do I access the blog ?
  14. moderndaynomad

moderndaynomad New Member

wha'hoppen to the Gauge?

Long time ago, I joined the Gauge, and haven't been back in a while. I checked back in again, and WTH did I walk into? Why are we lumped with all the other hobbies? I thought the Gauge was a RR board.

I know I've slept since then, but wha'hoppen?:confused:
  15. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

This....is not fun... Every how-to link made to this forum from my webpage and from other forums is down. Kinda hard to promote a forum when it treats visitors and regulars like a virus... Sorry, I've just seen a lot of work get toasted...
  16. nolatron

nolatron Member

Trying to search gives me this error:

"In order to accept POST request originating from this domain, the admin must add this domain to the whitelist."
  17. train1

train1 Member

I'm still undecided with the new format - NO SALE Yet !
  18. Peter T Davis

Yea, it gives me that error too. Noticed it this morning, and am working on it.
  19. Peter T Davis

Tell me which posts and I'll update the links. I can do it here, but ones you've posted on other forums I wouldn't be able to access.
  20. shortliner

shortliner Member

I stuck my head in again, after the separate thread I started earlier and noticed the request to say what "specifically" I didn't like. Okay, I'll try to explain - The Gauge was like the "girl next door" Pleasant, friendly, fairly attractive (though not the worlds greatest beauty), nice to chat to and to spend time with. OTOH the Zealot (Harlot?) is an over-made-up, blowzy, cheap $20 w***e touting for business, trying to sell her wares on a street corner, without a lot of success. Sorry - but I know which I'd rather spend my time with!
    I'n NOT interested in the other "channels" - if I was I'd have joined a group dealing with the subject. The Sponsors is a complete waste of bandwidth - if I wanted that I'd be on ebay. ....and who in heavens name dreamt up the "Zealot" name?
    It just doesn't do anything for me at all - may pop in every now and again, but certainly won't be spending as much time here as I did.
    Shortliner(Jack)away up here in the Highlands