What a MESS

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
I did hear the warnings that things were going to change. I must have missed WHY things were going to change. Could somebody remind me?

i seen all kinds of warning, but no reasons.

I believe I remember Don saying that the old server was being overloaded and causing the Gauge to slow down, could be wrong though. There were a few other problems I think to.

if thats all, they could of bought more server space, or moved to a bigger one but kept the old gauge. im a member of another site that changes servers at least every 12 months, (they grow that fast) other then then the hour or so down knowone would know if they did not tell us.

I just was wondering what prompted the change, that's all.
If you guys had been keeping up on the posts, Trucklover pretty much nailed it on the head. New, better server. Peter also posted that he was combining the Gauge with a few other hobby forums he is administrator of in order to keep them all on one server and make managing them more effecient.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
OK, I understand there's going to be some trauma in switching over to a new server.... I'm not so sure I'm cool with the new look.

Hopefully (hint, hint!) once the major kinks are ironed out, we'll be able to select a skin like the Classic Gauge, that's not so... ummm.... blech?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Folks, remain calm, remain focused, but please, remain. This is just the first shot out of the barrel. We are as disoriented as the rest of you. I just had to delete over 1200 PM's so I could start sending and receiving them again. Incidentally, you can download all your PM's to your computer before you do that, I did...

The last time we had a major change like this it took a while before we got big blue back, so have patience.:confused:

We knew there was going to be problems with links, we don't know what else is broken, but we'll keep you informed as we find out. Right now I can't even find all the smilies and it seem like we have a few that we never had before:eek:..

Hang tight, that's all we ask right now..

Twiget

Well I am not going anywhere. Glad to see the mods got their avatars back. Hope the rest of us “Drifts” get ours soon. Most people do not like change but after they have had a chance to get used to the difference they generally except it and move on. Human nature and all that.

Aloha
Tom

Help me I am a drift.JJ

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I see changes occuring as we speak. all of those weird desginations like "drift this and that" and "sensa whatever" are now gone. Good!
Hang in there everyone!
Ralph

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Change can be better or not but in any event I can handle change. I’m not sure where the money issue came from though I loved the old gauge so much I would of joined as a paying member no problem. I thank The Gauge staff for giving us a free forum.

However if the base platform is going to include all of the other forums then I will never like that. So I’m biased to trains only. I don’t really care about the colors, attachments, message storage or the other mechanics. I’m sure all of the little glitches will get worked out down the road and I don’t mind the wait.

So my suggestion would be NOT to include all the different hobby forums as one base page. I have found a short cut to exclude me from having to even view that page but personally I don’t like that direction. I know I don’t get a vote on that but I think it is ok to post my suggestion.

Leaving The Gauge? Why would anyone do that? It is too nice at The Gauge to even consider this. And if I have to admit it I think this site has the best moderators. I’m sure they don’t mind all the suggestions being tossed out in the open either. Suggestions are cool blind unfounded statements are not so cool.

So I say keep the suggestions coming and stick up for what you want or like. Now with that said even though I know we are not at the final development I don’t like what I’m seeing and it is a big MESS. Granted time will tell if I like it better but that would involve tossing most of what you are trying to do if this is the LOOK and FEEL of the new gauge.

[FONT=&quot]In the end I will accept what you have to offer and still be humble for the TRAIN forum. Now I do like the new forum for e-bay links.

A very WARM THANKYOU to the owners and mods on The Gauge you all do a great job. Thank you for letting me be part of THE GAUGE,
[/FONT]

Twiget

Wouldn’t you know as soon as I start having fun being a drift I am not one any more.:D :D

Aloha
Tom JJ

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
I agree... call me a snob, but I'm here to talk trains, not navigate past car guys and stamp collectors ( :p)...

... another little miggle seems to be that I can choose not to have an avatar. Not a priority, but at some point, I'd like to be able to toggle it back on. (I assume I should go to the User CP, choose "Edit Avatar", and be able to select an avatar?)

erikstoll

what do you mean by split?
packed up and made a new site and all of the members migrated to said new site

for example

Double Minor Hockey Network, merged with sportsgamer.... folks at DMHN decided that the way things were handled with the merger were crappy, core members built a new site in 1 night and then all the hockey members who migrated from DMHN onto Sports Gamer then left and went to the new site, called the breakaway network

make any sense? i hope?

brakie

Well I finally figured out how to dump the unwanted non-train forums.
I deleted spam in the process and the forum seems a tad faster then it was earlier.:)

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Brakie,

let me know if you did anything besides what I'm recommending below...

If you click on The Gauge in the "Channels" box in the upper left part of the page you will then get a page that lets you click on the Gauge Index, Then you'll get a page that looks much like the old Gauge Home page with a list of just our train forums.

Ralph

Hi everyone.... as you've noticed I'm still working. I think it will be a few days to get most of the bugs worked out. I wanted to get us back online and running with basic functionality, even though I knew there were things that aren't ready for 'prime time'.

I do appreciate everyone pointing out things that are wrong. I could do without the insults though. I realize very well that I'm not going to please everyone. But, please do keep reporting things that are amiss. Even if you saw it mentioned before, if it's still not working you can mention it, I may have missed the mention the first time round, it's already getting to be a long thread.

Some of you may not know, it's only me behind this website. No corporate infrastructure, no deep pockets, no team of programmers. Just me. I have put thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of my time into making this website a good platform for you to use. The Google ads that you used to see on the site didn't earn enough to even pay hosting fees. If it wasn't for the Backdrop Warehouse guys I'd have lost big money on the site over the past year. As it is, I only lost small money.

But, the upgrade really wasn't about money. I could have put new ads on the old site. It's about making a better website, with more features, to serve the community better. There are already a ton of new features, and you'll see more of them going public in the coming days as well. Stick in there and give it a chance.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Brakie,

let me know if you did anything besides what I'm recommending below...

If you click on The Gauge in the "Channels" box in the upper left part of the page you will then get a page that lets you click on the Gauge Index, Then you'll get a page that looks much like the old Gauge Home page with a list of just our train forums.

Ralph
Yes, I've already changed my link to here as: http://forum.zealot.com/f6/
to bring me right to the old index list. And as you said, Peter is making changes as we speak. It's gunna be a long night for Peter I'm guessing..:D:eek:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Peter,
Thanks for the first hand info in your post above. That was helpful! Members, take a look around...there are new posts happening in old threads from the former Gauge!
Ralph

UP SD40-2

i have been on for about 3 hours now, at first it was a little "weird", but as i made my way around the forum, i am getting used to it. i dont know if you folks have noticed, but things are changing and getting better as we speak. some of the options on here are not working yet, but i REALLY think this NEW forum will have some GREAT ADVANTAGES to it!:D

just hang tight folks, once the bugs get worked out and you get used to the new look, i think you'll find it was really worth doing.:D -Deano

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Hi everyone.... as you've noticed I'm still working. I think it will be a few days to get most of the bugs worked out. I wanted to get us back online and running with basic functionality, even though I knew there were things that aren't ready for 'prime time'.

I do appreciate everyone pointing out things that are wrong. I could do without the insults though. I realize very well that I'm not going to please everyone. But, please do keep reporting things that are amiss. Even if you saw it mentioned before, if it's still not working you can mention it, I may have missed the mention the first time round, it's already getting to be a long thread.

Some of you may not know, it's only me behind this website. No corporate infrastructure, no deep pockets, no team of programmers. Just me. I have put thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours of my time into making this website a good platform for you to use. The Google ads that you used to see on the site didn't earn enough to even pay hosting fees. If it wasn't for the Backdrop Warehouse guys I'd have lost big money on the site over the past year. As it is, I only lost small money.

But, the upgrade really wasn't about money. I could have put new ads on the old site. It's about making a better website, with more features, to serve the community better. There are already a ton of new features, and you'll see more of them going public in the coming days as well. Stick in there and give it a chance.

I think you're doing good, Peter.
It's tough being the man behind the curtain. (Funny how many forum admins I know who refer to themselves that way... ;) )
I'm not crazy about the current color scheme but I can live with it.
Otherwise, you're doing a kick butt job for one guy.