What a MESS

jambo101

Why is all the advertising on the left:?.. now on a lot of threads i have to scroll sideways as about an inch or more is now off screen:x

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
hey pete,is it possible to move the ads to the top of the page or the bottom? thats my only REAL complaint about the new gauge.the other stuff i know is already being worked out.your doin a great job pete,its alot more functional than when i first stepped into the "new" gauge.--josh

About paying to use The Gauge...firstly, I'd do it, once the bugs are worked out. I don't want to pay for something in progress or continually behind expectations (read any of the angry posts on the 1:64 modeling guide Yahoo group about that debaucle). That said, I think the progress to the new Guage is evident and I'm glad to stick with it through the changes.

Next just some philosophical thoughts in general about where I think the hobby press is going in the future. I think the internet and specifically groups like this are hurting the hobby press. Sure, there will always be folks who want a print copy of a magazine. But I can see the day in the (distant?) future when the big guys like Kalmbach and Carstens go all digital and a subscription to a magazine will be subscribing to a forum such as this, where a monthly (weekly?) set of feature columns will be produced.

The transition is already happening. MR has "subscriber only" content (you must be a paper magazine subscriber to access this) on their site as well as a forum. It's only a matter of time until the monthly magazine is available at a reduced rate in PDF format for download and both forms coexist. How'd you like your MR available on podcast? What about a video tutorial/demo each month? It is happening.

Just my futurist ramblings.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
i dont think the papaer magazine will ever leave,but i can see it being supplememnted or its articles go into deeper descriptions and video examples.that itself would be pretty cool.--josh

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Video is the "step up" in a monthly magazine, so I think to collect a MR or any other mag for that matter on your computer is much better- you know that your subscription wouldn't get lost, you don't need to change your postal address when moving and IT SAVES SPACE!!

I've got more than 1000 mags and I don't have any more space for anything else- most people complain about this. I do however agree that it will never fully replace the mag because there are still people out there that don't own PC's or the internet- so it will be out for quite a while.