What a MESS

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Renovo PPR, Apr 25, 2007.

1. CCT70

CCT70 Member

Yes, VERY much so. I have an 8mb Cable connection and it's SLOW. VERY, VERY slow, slower then dial up. Pages are taking on average 30-45 seconds to load.
  2. CPTyler

CPTyler New Member

Posting pictures

This is Stripes, Tylers grandfather. When Tyler has tried to post his pictures in the advanced mode the whole post just does not show up in the thread. If he does it in the quick repy box the pictures post fine.
    When I am using my username of stripes, I do not have this problem??? The pictures are off my photobucket album.

David and Tyler
  3. stripes

stripes Member

Now I really am confused???

I get two messages in my hotmail account that posts were made to Tylers thread about "My first building" Well Tyler and I made those posts! I go to that thread and the posts just are not there????
    If I look at the menu for HO Trains, It shows the posts as being made!
    How come I can not see them in the thread itself??? Is it me!!
    And yes I am logged in!
  4. stripes

stripes Member

And now, almost 1/2 hour latter, I get another notification (3rd.) of the same post, this time in junk mail folder ??? And its still not there!

Very frustrating.

5. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Guy Behind the Curtains

You've got me stumped there David. As soon as I figure it out, I'll fix it! Sorry for the inconvenience.
  6. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I did last night for a couple hours.
    Now everthing seems to be running fine again.
  7. FiatFan

FiatFan Member

Just the opposite for me. The site seems to be running faster than the old version.

8. erikstoll

erikstoll New Member

not at all, although it could just be my connection that is rather quick
  9. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

FWIW, I found the site to be as slow as the old site when the changeover first occurred, and now I find it's much faster. That's with 5 MB DSL...

I too would prefer a different colour scheme, but I suspect that appearance is not a priority over functionality right now.

Form follows function!
  10. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

Peter, have you started a general bug-report thread?

I just tried to participate in the poll from The Gauge page, and I got the "In order to accept POST request originating from this domain, the admin must add this domain to the whitelist." message.

Wups! Nevermind, I found the link on the homepage...

... feel free to carry on with the regularly scheduled moaning, wailing and gnashing of teeth! :p
  11. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Is there an explanation somewhere for all of the new icons in the lower left of the post box? I honestly have no idea what "furling", spurling" and all that other stuff means.
  12. stripes

stripes Member

When you get some time

Don`t be sorry Peter, I know the size of this undertaking and whenever you get the bugs worked out I am sure it will be fine.

Thanks for the forum, and like Backdrop Warehouse I would like to help this forum out. It is my favorite! In afew weeks when you are settled I will email you. (can you pm me your addy?)

13. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I do not have any problems with the speed of the site, as a matter of fact I never did. Though I have DSL I am the last possible customer they can place on DSL due to the distance.

Satellite was never an option due to the amount of down time we have due to weather related problems. In addition I would have to cut the few trees I have that serve as a wind break. Relocating the site would not be an option because that would place it in the middle of a corn field. That would only mean it would be taken out a few times a year when working the fields.

In any event the speed is great for me. If I had a wish list it would be to move the "sponsor" stuff to the right side. It is annoying on the left side but then again that may be why it is on the left side of the page.

Since I really don't tear through most sites to explore all of the options I can't say if there were any added that I like or dislike. I just like to read the comments and make a few posts. So the options are not important to me but may be for those that like to play around.

Did you get any sleep the past few nights yet Peter? ;) :)
  14. nolatron

nolatron Member

They are for syndicating the post to the corresponding icon's website. Basically you see something you wanna share "with the world" on of these sites, you click the icon to do so. I think most of these sites require you to signup to use the site.

Some folks like it sharing all kinds of stuff. I personally don't.

Typically I seen these used more for blogs, news postings, and the like. Never seen it implemented for forums for individual posts.
  15. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

It is also on my wish list to get the advertisements moved to the right side. For now, I figured out how to get rid of them completely!

Attached Files:

16. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

And on that note, it is also on my wishlist to get the thumbnail images at least doubled in size. And I am one of the folks on dial-up.
  17. 91rioja

91rioja Member

So, how much are you going to sell that device for???? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

And I see that all of the smileys are now working!!!
  18. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

The device is $1.98 plus $6 shipping and handling.:mrgreen:

Hmmm... maybe I should get me an advertisement on The Gauge for this item!
  19. nolatron

nolatron Member

If you wanna sorta get rid of the sponsor ads and you use Firefox with the adblock plug-in, simply add http://ads.auctionads.com/* to your block list. All you get now is just a little title box.

A lot of times I find when a website has ads hosted from a 3rd party site, and that ad host is having problems it can slow down the loading of the page you're actually trying to load. That's one reason I block ads for sites I visit. Helps cutdown on the load time.
  20. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Guy Behind the Curtains

I hope you guys remember that without the ads The Gauge would not exist.
    I can't afford to pay all of it out of my pocket.