What a great hobby!

2-8-2

Part of the enjoyment of model railroading for me is the research. I recently purchased the Walther's Interstate Fuel & Oil structure for my layout, and called it "Mackenzie Oil Co." after my daughter (Mackenzie is her middle name). I'm developing a section on my website about the industries I'm modeling, and decided to make a small backstory to go with it. A kind of what-if it actually existed...

My freelanced road is set in the 1950's in NW Ohio, and I needed to find out how these businesses operated back then. Google. It's the greatest thing since sliced bread! I wanted Mackenzie Oil Co. to be supplied by a real oil company that would've been around in that region in the 50's. I decided to go with Sohio, which was part of the original Standard Oil (of Ohio) mega corporation that spurred the Anti-Trust laws. I learned a lot about something that I really thought I wouldn't have much interest in, but it turned out to be really fun.

What a great hobby!

:thumb:

RobertInOntario

I can relate in that I really enjoy learning about history as well, and research is a part of that. It's fascinating to learn about the real-life locos (of which I have models) and the stations and lines through which they ran. Rob