We've been Yahood!

jon-monon

I set up two Yahoo groups for our use:

The-gauge-pub public yahoo group

~and~

The-gauge private yahoo group.

They are both the same, except archives of any messages posted on the public one can be viewed by anyone in the public group, and only members can see messages in the private group.

The purpose of these groups is not to provide an alternate means of communication to the-gauge, so please continue to use the forums as usual. The forums are best, as they can be viewed by all gauge members. The yahoo group service will be used only by those who choose to join.

The purpose I see is to post photos and files to share with others, and to link to in Chat or using the IMG tags on the forums. For example:

Four+brass+disconects.jpg

It works better in chat.

There are other user operated services available such as a links section and databases if there is interest.

The only requirement to join is you must have a yahoo account, and you must be a gauge member. If you already have yahoo e-mail, that account works. You may sign up for a yahoo account here. Once you have a yahoo account, the groups may be joined by following the link above.

If you have questions or trouble joining, please let me know. If you have questions about the groups after joining, please post those questions in the group messages (just click post on the left)

Clerk

Jon. I'll pass on this one. To confusing and besides my E mail is through my cable supplier.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Jon,

Speaking of chat rooms, I've never been excited about them and rarely visit one. I've been on this forum a bit over six months now and have only been in the Gauge chat room twice, and didn't stay long then. I keep seeing references to the "white room" and "black room" (or is that back room:D? ) and wonder what are they. I can only see one entance to a chat room here and have wondered how to find the other ones....

I will check out the Yahoo group, but I'd hate to see it take even a little bit away from here. There are a bunch of forums dealing with MRR and I avoid most all of them except The Gauge. Some are way too busy and I can't keep up, some are so slow that it is a waste of time going there and there are those that a fairly akward to navigate. The Gauge seems just right and I get all the information I need right here. One stop for information, pictures and new friends, I wouldn't want that to diminish.

Don

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Originally posted by ezdays
Jon,

I keep seeing references to the "white room" and "black room" (or is that back room:D? ) and wonder what are they. I can only see one entance to a chat room here and have wondered how to find the other ones....

Don

Basically there are 2 chat rooms - 1 with a White Background where you can post pics and a second "older one) which has a Black Background and is text only.

White http://www.the-gauge.com/chat.htm

Black http://the-gauge.com/cgi-sys/mchat.cgi?channel=the-gauge.com

So when the "white room" goes down... we scurry off to the "Black Hole" :) :)

Our chat room is like any other chat room.. sometimes lots of news.. sometimes slow .. but overall it's a good place to talk to other Gauge Members and learn information. Not necessarily about Railroading. :D :D :D

jon-monon

Clark - it's certainly OK not to join. It's completely optional.

EZ - The "black" chat room is an alternate for the "white" room. The white is linked at the top of the-gauge. The names come from the background colors of the rooms. Most folks like the white room better, because it allows posting photos. The black room is more stable.

"Black" chat room

If ever you need to find it, it's linked in the "Chat" thread in the board suggestions forum.

I fully agree that we do not want to create a mailing list that detracts from the-gauge in any way. The-gauge yahoo groups are not to be used as a modeling/train discussion group. The groups are to be used to share photo's and files.

When joining, I suggest selecting "no e-mail", then the few messages can be read from the archives. Messages are to be restricted to questions about the group itself. Kinda funny, a mailing list about itself. Kinda like picking yourself up by your bootstraps.

jkristia

personally I don't like the Yahoo groups, I subscribe to a few (n-scale, hand laying, plus a few other) and all of them I have set the option to receive a daily digest. What I don't like is that when you go there to actually read some posts, you get this annoying advertisement that you have to click on to continue for every third post or so, also, the they only allow tiny tine (useless sized) pictures to be posted unless you post them as files in the files folder, which by the way only allows very limited amount of file (10M or less if I remember correct). Yes, I know it's a free service, but to me it is so annoying to use, so I almost never go there anymore.

Oops, sorry if all this sound a bit negative, but as you can tell, I'm no big fan of the Yahoo groups.

jon-monon

Jesper - You're right, they use advertising to pay for this service. I am also a member of many groups, and I just set it not to receive any e-mail. I never did like digest mode for any list, and I don't want a bunch of messages. The archives appear instantly and I can post/reply from the web site. I prefer on-line services, so I don't have to download anything. Still on dial-up at home.

This should not be an issue, because we are not using the groups as e-mail lists. The messages should be very seldom. I don't believe the ads come in when viewing photo's. I could be wrong. If they do, it's just another click to what you want, and far better than a memory eating pop-up ad.

We get 30 MB for Photo's and 20 MB for files in each group.

Perhaps the owners of the lists you are on have a resriction set, I just up loaded a high res photo to test:

Posted: 28-Oct-2003 - Resolution: 3109 x 816 [ Edit Name | Delete]
| Full Size: 137 KB

It's so big, it doesn't all fit on the tube.

Attachments

• snapshot7.jpg
    snapshot7.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 104

jkristia

ja det er.

It would be funny to see the "Danske StatsBaner" (The Danish Railways) pulling log loads on your logging layout :)

jon-monon

God, måske. Komisk, sandsynlig!

Wish I had a DSB switcher!

Disclaimer: My Danish is very poor, and if I called anyone's mother-in-law a purple gorilla or anything like that, I assure you it was a mistake! It took me 10 minutes to figure out what ja det er means. Please use smaller words :D :D :D