West Hill RR in its new home

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by roryglasgow, Jun 11, 2003.

1. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

I set up the West Hill Railroad in its new home Monday. We got our new digital camera (Olympus D-390) yesterday, so I took a few pics of it during my lunch hour.

Here it is sitting on the file cabinet. The backdrop was painted on the backside of a sheet of floor vinyl (an idea I got from Charlie). The clouds and hills were painted using Gavin Miller's technique (http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2906).

Attached Files:

2. roryglasgow

These deer seem strangely unconcerned about the steam locomotive sitting nearby...

The train appears to lean to one side due to a distortion caused by the camera lens (I shot the scene using the Macro feature). I assure you, I'm not running a roller coaster ride!

Attached Files:

• deer.jpg
      File size:
      67.4 KB
  3. roryglasgow

The bridge...

Attached Files:

4. roryglasgow

Looking down the dirt road...

Attached Files:

5. roryglasgow

Another shot down the dirt road, showing the tree tops.

Attached Files:

6. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Very sharp looking! Maybe it will get some of your co-workers interested in the hobby. :cool:
  7. brakie

brakie Active Member

Very nice looking layout..
  8. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

I like what you did to the edges, made them part of the scenery. This shows you don't need a lot of space to have a bunch of fun.:)

9. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

You really got a lot of neat scenes from a small space. Very nice!
    Great backdrop too!
  10. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Looks right at home in the office Rory. Your new camera sure takes good pictures. Makes the layout look much larger than it really is.
    Good modelling and photography.
  11. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Rory, although your layout is very small, it is an excellent example how you can put many very picturesque scenes in a small space.

Excellent modeling and excellent photographing. And also the background is just great. Congratulations! :) :) :)

12. roryglasgow

Thanks for the compliments. It's the simplest trackplan I've made (it's just an oval), but so far it's my favorite layout. I've been enjoying having it here in the office to keep me company. :)

Several folks have taken an interest in it, too. There are a couple of people who like to stop by and examine the details. I promised to add new things now and then to give them something to look at. I want to add a few more trees, but right now I'm tired of making trees!!
  13. interurban

interurban Active Member

Hi Rory you have done a great job, ;)