Went to my first train show today...

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
I was a little skeptical at first. I still have nightmares about going to the gun and knife show with my dad when I was a kid. But it wasn't too bad.

The wife and kids decided to tag along, and it was an hour drive to get there. Aside from the crowd (which was suprisingly large) it was a good experience. In typical swap meet/garage sale fashion, there were numerous people pushing and shoving and being rude...but I expected that. Some people act like if they aren't the first in line, they'll miss all the "good stuff".

According to a couple of the guys I talked to, this was a small show. I was still pretty impressed, even though there wasn't hardly any N scale items to choose from. That didn't stop me from walking away with a sweet deal on a pair of Kato NKP covered hoppers though! There was a large selection of HO and G items, Lionel, and old Radio Flyer stuff and collectibles.

I had fun, the kids behaved (so did the wife for that matter :)) and I got a good deal on some things I was looking for. And I only had to knock down one old person.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Good for you.
If you aren't desparate to collect every last bargain, the best time to arrive is about an hour after opening. By then the early crowd will all have gone in and ripped off the widows and orphans and left. Anyway, the real bargains are snapped up by the people who get on the floor before the shpw opens.
It's nice to go around with no specific tasks, or with a very short shopping list.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
What train show did you go to? I will say the Bucyrus Train Show usually has a lot of N Scale at reasonable prices.The show date is Sun, 04/23/2006..

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
David's right.
After helping out my LHS guy at a show, I found out the most of the good deals are usually snapped up before the doors open. Guys who have layouts and club moduals are the first to snag the good stuff.(Thats why when you go to a show, you see a guy sitting behind his clubs layout, putting something toegther)Sometimes, I'm sure Brakie will back me up on this, dealers will buy from other dealers...Just to put items they don't have on their own tables.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Ed,Not only do we buy from each other but,there is a lot of horse trading going on as well.Now..Letting the cat out of the bag here..A lot of times the big spenders will get to enter the show a hour early.Some guest of the organization/ club that is hosting the show also enter a hour early..Its something that happens behind the scenes..
Now,another cat out of the bag..Hang around long enough at a train show.Listen..The closer it gets to closing time the more a dealer sweats if he is having a bad day..That's the time to deal.After all,no dealer wants to lose money on the table rent..BUT! BEWARE! Some dealers looks for patterns from the same show attendees and won't deal.
Beat the system by becoming a dealer's helper or if your club is the host then volunteer to help tote the dealers boxes in..We like that and some of us will give you first choice at a very good price.You see we want our free coffee and donuts the host usually provides.sign1

N

nachoman

Every time I go to a show and look for something specific I want, I usually come home empty handed. I don't know why. I like the junkers and oddballs, things I can be creative with. Newer releases can usually be had at the LHS or via mail order.

but what I really like are the operating layouts. The modulars sometimes get old, but every once in awhile you see a really iinspiring small layout... I used to see an N scale mining layout in the phoenix shows that I could watch for hours. The thing couldn't have been much larger than 8x8. Last fall in salt lake city, I saw a small N scale that blew me away. There was also a guy who had a whole table of marx trains. Sometimes the most interesting sellers have nothing you came in looking for.

kevin

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
brakie said:
What train show did you go to? I will say the Bucyrus Train Show usually has a lot of N Scale at reasonable prices.The show date is Sun, 04/23/2006..

This show was in Greenville, OH and was hosted by the local train club. Thanks for the heads up on the Bucyrus one, got any more info?

L

lester perry

Don't usualy go

I have found that most train shows for me are a waste of time. If it says train / toy show I don't even bother. Now the exceptions are the big shows like Greenburg. There is one at Timonium Md. on a regular basis which is very large. It is a good one. I guess I am saying the one at the local fire hall is not my cup of tea.
Les.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
2-8-2,More about the Bucyrus show..I know the club will be open for viewing..The Bucyrus club is a modular layout but,its not like the more common modular layout.It has a twist.As you enter the club house you will see the mountain area complete with grades and so forth.The show uses 2 buildings at the fairgrounds.
The club and show is located at the Crawford County Fairgrounds.The fairgrounds is located in town and easy to get to.
As far as things for the family to do..Well we are a small city and fall flat in that area.
Railfaning,we have the NS and the Fort Wayne & Eastern.Of course the NS is by far the busiest.Then you can drive by the old T&OC yard and engine house which is now used by Transco.They rebuild freight cars.Then there is Ohio Crane-this was Bucyrus-Erie Crane company many years ago_Of course a stop at Col/Sand is in order to look at the T&OC station that is being refurbish and the old T&OC flag stop station that was moved from Plymouth Street to Col/Sand.A Railroad Museum will be house in the T&OC station as soon as the work is finish...

roenickrox

Mar 2, 2006
Hainesville, Il
On Sunday my wife tiik my son to Grandma's. Had the whole house to myself, when I realized that the train show I had been looking forward to taking my son to closed in an hour. I had been planning it for a month. Oh well, there's always next year.