Well, it’s time I introduce myself...

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Runkle, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runkle

Runkle New Member

Hi, I’m Mason Runkle... a name that requires no face recognition.

I’ve been hang’in around for a while, I’m the quite guy that slips in and out from the back of the room... yeah that’s me. I’m from that other medium (cough, “Plastic”, cough, cough... hack), got to get me something for that.

Anyway, I was on research mission for a build, looking for details (could never have enough ya know) of the P-51 D cockpit surrounds. When I came across lgl007’s (Don’t know the man to call him Greg) “Halinski P51 D Construction Report”. I found his finished P-51 D images and assumed it was in the same medium I was working in (plastic), and thought, “ wow, this guy know’s a trick or two in regards to flat detail". So I followed the link to Lighthouse model art... that is were my life would never be the same again. I sat speechless, :-o staring at the build process and completely amazed that it was made from a paper product. I’ve worked with paper before, but that was adding texture to plastic surfaces. Hey, once shaped and painted, toilet paper is a great texture for a WW II chute cushion.

After sifting though the build images for a while, the Lighthouse shined its graces here. Where I’ve been hang’in around, just watching you guys pull off some of the most amazing builds. There is some serious talent here, too many to list and I would be afraid I would accidentally leave someone out.

I have spent X amount of years perfecting plastic and this has opened up a whole new world for me... the complete freedom of paper. Paper cuts easy, bends easy, softens easy, hardens easy and best of all, doesn't melt.

Well I’m in it now, I bought a couple of kits, all Halinski: A6M2, FW 190 A-8, Polikarpow I-16 and of course Halinski’s P-51D (didn’t think I would leave that one out did ya).

One thing that probably will never change... without fail, I always seem draw blood with a new blade.

2. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Drawing blood is a passage we must all take. Welcome aboard. Glad to have you. Show us what your working on sometime. Best to you.
  3. Runkle

Runkle New Member

Thank you... but how much blood must one have give in order to complete their passage.
  4. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

What ever it takes to get the job done.
  5. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Welcome to the dark side! Just make sure you scalpel doesn't roll of the table, mine was stickin outta my foot, literally.
  6. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

Welcome to the 'flat side'.
    You have picked some great kits to start with.
    Great detail especially in the newer releases.
  7. Runkle

Runkle New Member

CardStalker, I was afraid that was going to be the answer, I'll made sure stack an extra pint in the fridge.

warrior, Ouch! Must also make sure scalpel is sterilized.

Manic, As for the detail... can't get enough of it.

Thank you for the kind welcome and I don't mean to post and run, must go help my wife.

8. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Gotya, same here, have a good one and bbl.
  9. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Welcome aboard, Runkle!
    I'm glad you finally decided to jump in and leave the lurking behind you.
    You sure are jumping in with both feet too and with some very nice models to boot!
    You simply must share your progress with us!

10. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Welcome Runkle! Thank you for that wonderful intro!

No need to be ashamed of plastic or any other medium. Now that you know about us, I'm positive you'll stay!:grin:

I invite you to read my " Welcome New Member" post (click the link below) it will give ya the nickel tour and a free gift.
    There are also two free gifts on my signature, as well as several interesting and useful links.

And, yes, please post pics of your cardmodels!
  11. Gil

Gil Active Member

Mason Runkle,Plastic Junkie Enters Paper Rehab

Egads, Another refugee from the styrene jungle washes up on the shores of Cardmodel Land. Wonder Lurking in the dark recesses, sucking in the fresh delight of originality and the freedom to do whatever their hearts desire....,

Now, for a word from our sponsor...,

You too can become a card modeler. Be the envy of your peers, enlighten them with phrases like, "Did I tell you it's made of paper?". Don't wait another minute it is time that you too receive the recognition and adoration due a card modeler. Remember, there's nothing like a card modeler.

Now back to our story;

The inmates of the asylum have entered a state of agitated delirium. Some are heard singing Delirium Fields Forever. The village idiot, admitted to the assylum by mistake is seen with a pair of blunties doing some very clever things with soggy bath tissue....,

To be Continued...,

Have a Good Time,

12. Kaz

Kaz Member

Welcome, as most others ahave already said, post pictures of your build, and progress, it'll help others who might have come accross a stumbling block as they build theirs.
  13. silverw

silverw Member

Hi Runkle/Mason?

One other thing that may seem strange at first..... is that many GREAT models are FREE

Yup... we're all crazy around here.

In case you are nervous about cuttin up those "paid for" models..... just check around.... there are a few hundred thousand gigabytes of FREE stuff to practice on.

The onlyest thing is that you have to be havin fun... if not, just login here and chat it up!!:twisted: :idea: 8)

14. josve

josve Active Member

Welcome to papermania Runkle!!
  15. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

Around here, you are sure to get plenty of "fiber.":wink:
  16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Welcome to the fold buddy. Glad to have you around and really looking forward to seeing what your years of experience with plastic might bring us for new techniques :D
  17. Clashster

Clashster Member

Welcome, Mason! Paper is truely a great medium to work in - screw up a part, simply make a new one! Not a big option for plastic! I look forward to seeing pictures of your builds - always love to see a Halinski kit come together!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.