Welcome To The Paper Navy

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
Talk about too many projects, too little time. I haven't even had the time (or gumption) to reload my avitar. My Jaguar (drawn from Young Technician magazine templates) model still sits on top my monitor, lacking only a couple of free (or maybe even relatively inexpensive) evenings to finish up. Just got in an order from Lighthouse, and await delivery of an order from Hobby Factory that will almost complete my collection of JSC ship model kits. Someone should have warned me that these things are addictive. Then again, so are doing redraws of marginal quality kits. As if I don't have enough projects tugging at me, I finally lucked out on some Ebay auctoions (Maly Modelarz Elco PT boat and Halny models) that look to have real promise. Looking at the pile of unbuilt kits on my shelf, I'm beginning to fully understand the effectiveness of the survival technique of a school of herring.

Maybe another month or so and the current crisis at work will be a memory. Until then, it brings to mind some long lost (with good reason) text from the book of Job....."My father once told me that hard times build character. I have enough character. Lord, I have more character than I ever planned on."

Peter H

Jan 22, 2004
Australia
Darwin,
When your ready we will be here for you. (Well I have no other plans).

Larry/Ron,
I'm like Jim and can't find the cherished thread on Cleopatra and Victory ??

Et Al,
I've been working only in odd spare periods on my Arabelle model. The internal structure is finished and I'm dry-fitting and forming the hull so it goes on the model sweetly.

As an aside I have come up against a gap in the doco and that is how tall/high the masts are. This is the article and doco,

http://jtdigest.narod.ru/dig4_01/museum.htm

Maybe someone sharper than I can work out the mast's dimensions or is a sort of guesstimation. Any help appreciated.

Peter H

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Well, not only can I not find Cleo, but I've been demoted from a "Regular" to a "Member"..."Honest, Chief, I swear, it wasn't me, it was the other guys!" :?
Guess the postings on Cleo, if gone, automatically demote cha! :(
Oh, just give us back Cleo, we miss her!! :)
Jim

larrymax

Jan 17, 2004
Corona, CA
home.aaris.net
Hi Gang,

Well, I too am wondering where the "To Build A Ship Thread" got off too! I feel bad that I've not been posting to it lately. We're in the middle of a re-paint of our house and I've not had but a few precious minutes to work on Cleo. (Just to catch you up, I'm putting the tops of the aft bulwarks on, including the 4 gun ports on the top deck on each side and finishing off the transome rail.) I appologize for not posting any pics for the last couple of weeks....I know you all are enjoying the progress pics.
I'm trying to find out right now what happened to the thread. I'm sure it's fine.....don't worry, we'll get it back up!

Max
Captain, HMS Cleopatra

larrymax

Jan 17, 2004
Corona, CA
home.aaris.net
All,

Well, looks as though there has been a little, teensy, tiny, problem with the Cleopatra tread. It may have been accidentally deleted! :( NOT TO WORRY!!!!! Fearless leader Rick is on the case (well, as soon as he gets home, anyway) and I'm sure everything will be fine! The absolute worst case scenario is that we bring the existing thread back up from the old site and I post the pics from where that thread left off up to current status. Unfortunately, we may loose the commentary from the other forum members, and I SURELY will not remember all my thoughts, BUT we'll have pics and the thread will be back and we can move forward!

Be BRAVE my sailors and friends! We've faced more fearsome monsters than these and have lived to see another day! Lord willing, we SHALL be victorious! and Her Majesties Ship, Cleopatra shall SAIL AGAIN TO VICTORY!!!! (How's that!....Sounds very Captain-like eh! Are you all inspired yet?)

Max
Captain (and looking around for his ship)
HMS Cleopatra
Invisible Paper Navy of the Bear Flag Republic

neoneanderthal

Jan 15, 2004
peter
youll have to guesstimate from the size of the rigging bits and the sails...seeif you can find a profile for the mayflower.
neo

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Thanks, Barry.
I had a gander at your photos...and then saw your next project, Takao...yikes, she is a big one, no? :shock:
Graf Spee looks great! Nicely done!!
Cornflake decks, huh. :lol: Just about what thickness does that amount to, the Cornflakes cardboard?
I take it Takao is about 1/200 scale?
Thanks for posting the photos, Barry, I enjoyed seeing your beautiful ships.
Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Well, Gang, I just got my computer back from the shop.
Seems it took a header, lost most of my data, :x but at least it's still ticking! :wink:
I suppose the silver lining is there is a good deal of space freed up on the ol' hard drive to work with. :D
I hope to post some photos soon of my progress on the JSC Mexico Victory, maybe over this weekend. Not much progress, really, but slowly but surely she is looking more like a freighter. Working on the deck fittings now, soon the cargo handling gear will be started.
It's good to be able to readily access this site; it was difficult sharing a temp computer for the last week.
I wonder how Max is doing on Cleo? I loved the last photos, Max, she is looking REALLY great!
And it looks like Barry is moving merrily along with his Takao; also looking real good!
And Scorpio's Bismark is truly a model for inspiration, a great study in detail, one of those "I can't believe it's a card model!" type of things. I thank Scorpio to posting those photos, it's a great model to study and see what can be done, and, boy, is Scorpio doing it up grand!
Anyone else got a nice ship project they can share some photos of?
Later, all!
Jim