Welcome To The Paper Navy

larrymax

Well, Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to the Paper Navy of the Bear Flag Republic’s very own Forum! It looks as though Ron has finally gone completely over the edge (we'll miss him so!) for he has actually asked ME to be the moderator for this new section of our beloved Cardmodels.net web site (unequivicably the best web site in the world on the subject!)(No, Really, I mean it!)

I welcome you all to The Ship Model Forum! We’re gonna have a great time here discussing our favorite modeling topic, Ships!

So you all can know a little more about me, all my friends call me Max….yes, yes, I know….â€but you used to sign all your posts “Larryâ€â€¦.that’s because that’s my name….but, like I said, all my FRIENDS (that’s you guys!) call me Max! It keeps the confusion to a minimum!

I have been building models, like most of you, since I was a kid (and I’m far from THAT category now! I turn 51 in March!) I ran through the gamut of plastic model cars and model planes (putting them on a string and setting them on fire!..remember that, guys!) Then, when I was a sophomore in High School, I decided to try my hand at model ships. My first ship model was the Revel Cutty Sark. Shortly after that, her sister ship Thermopolae…..I built in the neighborhood of 6 to 8 plastic model ships (even sold one!), then kind of hung up the hobby as LIFE got in the way!

Once I had some free time again (and a wife, and a child on the way!) I got back into modeling with the Revel USS Constitution! I went all out on that one…silkspan sails (stained in tea to make them canvas colored), patina’d copper hull (just painted, but it looked really good), fully detailed Captains Cabin, with painted paintings on the walls, a map on the table, crew members discussing their course and battery operated miniature lights as lanterns on the desks! She was beautiful! Constitution has graced my home for 15 years! Unfortunately, she did not weather the move to Corona California so well. Her bowsprit was broken and several yardarms were snapped from the masts. It was VERY painful, but about 6 months ago I had to lay her to rest…with the promise of my NEW Model Shipways USS Constitution sailing over the horizon and expected in port at the start of this year! (With the aid of Bob Hunts Practicum: http://www.lauckstreetshipyard.com ) I imagine this new Constitution is going to be my crowning achievement!) I began building wooden ship models about 6 or 8 years ago. I have build several..the most ambitious to date being the Model Shipways New Bedford Whale Boat..my first “plank of frame†ship model.

During this period, I also discovered Paper Modeling! I built all the usual suspects (you know, the FREE ones) from the internet. Then discovered the Paper Shipwrights site and all those beautiful “Monitor†ships! Well, I fell in love with those little buggers and have built several now (my USS Monitor…the one with 1700 parts…still sits waiting for me to come back to her!) and plan on, someday, building more.

I came across my current project, H.M.S. Cleopatra, back in October or November last year. Of course, I was immediately intrigued! “Wow, a fully rigged model ship! Made from Paper! I was beside myself! I ordered it up (with some help from Moshe!) and, well, you all know the rest, because I’ve been posting my progress on her from the moment I opened the envelope! That thread “To Build A Ship: The HMS Victory and Cleopatra†is far and away the most read and posted to thread on this website since it’s inception! I sincerely thank all of you who are reading along, and I especially thank those of you who post notes of encouragement! You have no idea how much that helps keep me motivated to continue forward and not let this model languish in the corner like so many of our projects tend to do! I never imagined the building of a paper ship model could capture so much attention!

Well, because of all your attention,
and obvious interest in the subject, Ron has decided to give the web site its own area to cover the subject. Here, we can post new building progress reports on all sorts of ships. I would love to see some of those beautiful ships from Digital Navy built here…maybe an ocean liner…and, some day, I will get back to my monitors and post them here, too! (My Connie comes first, though…sorry!)

If you’re new here, welcome! If you “not-so-new†here, welcome back! How about we start off this forum with some introductions and a little history of our ship model building. I’ve told you about myself…let’s hear from some of you! What are you working on? What is your most ambitious project to date? What model ship do you look forward to building? Got a ship you would like to see designed? This would be a great place to let everyone know….this IS a pretty popular site for the designers, too, you know!

If there is anything I can help you with, please ask! This is going to be a GREAT Forum! I can’t wait to see where we take it! Welcome to the Paper Navy of the Bear Flag Republic! SAIL ON!

Max
Captain, HMS Cleopatra
Paper Navy of the Bear Flag Republic

Nice intro, Max. I think it was a good idea to add subject-specific forums.

I'm building the kuk Wien right now. It's a 1/250 JSC model of an Austro-Hungarian pre-dreadnought battleship. I like sailing ships too, but I'm too lazy to do all that rigging. :wink:

Jim Krauzlis

Hi Max and Steve!
Super!! A separate forum for shipmodeling!
That's really a great idea because there are few places that discuss the peculiar problems in ship modeling.

Max, they couldn't have picked a better Admiral for the job! :D

As I mentioned off line to Max recently, I am working on the JSC Mexico Victory, something I am building for my father-in-law who was a member of the naval gun crew on one (or two or three, depending on what sotry he tells you) during WWII. I like merchant ships, have a good number of kits waiting to be built, and naval ships, but Max introduced me to the world of paper sailing ships of war on his Cleopatra thread, which has got to be one of the most informative and entertaining threads I have read in quite some time. It certainly has me looking for a nice kit to start on once my other projects are done.

I started a personal album on this site after finding out the last site was gone, apparently for good. I hope to update it regularly as I get going on the current project, just so you all can see how bad a paper ship modeler I am, and maybe out of pity give me some hints. :cry:

Looking forward to seeing more on this thread!

Jim
Copiague
Long Island
New York

larrymax

Hey Jim. Look at you go! Just had a look at your photo album! That's a nice little armada you got going there! When, ever, do you find time to work on Connie!!!??? Looking forward to seeing some progress pics of your Mexico Victory ship. You mentioned the "different" construction technique used....what's different about it?

Max

larrymax said:
Looking forward to seeing some progress pics of your Mexico Victory ship. You mentioned the "different" construction technique used....what's different about it?

Max

Perhaps he means JSC's variation on the standard egg-carton framework.

Most of their ships are formed with some central box shapes glued onto the middle of the base. Then you glue on outer bulkheads which attach to these on the inside and to the hull skin on the outside. It seems to work pretty well, it's surprisingly strong once you build a few and they interlock. But you have to be sure to build each boxlike form square or you've got problems.

Jim Krauzlis

That's exactly right, Steve!
I am more familiar with an egg crate type support structure, but JSC uses a box and hull former structure, with side panels. And what Steve said is what I found; you have to be very, VERY careful in making that box. Okay, maybe it's not such a big deal, and I guess I've been lucky so far, but I can see a major problem if the forward box and aft box don't meet flush and square. :shock:

My problem with this particular model is the stern is very rounded, and the building plans don't suggest anything to keep those slits closed tight, so my first try looked like it had tassles on the after end! :?
I am building another hull at the same time so this time I am trying to put a strip to join the slit, so to speak, and keep it nice and rounded. If I am able to get to it this weekend I'll post more photos in my album; hopefully it will not look too bad!

Max, that's the problem, too little time, too many projects! But, it is fun, and the main reason I switched to paper models when I did is the ability to work in a small area (don't have a dedicated work area yet), clean up is a snap and it's easy to just set up for an hour or so of modeling...and the models are really neat! And so far the models I am working on are in a nice small scale that I LOVE to work in. I enjoy the challenge of trying to make a decent model with details at very small scale, just the insane type of guy I am. :lol:

Well, got to go now, but looking forward to more posts and photos from others touched with the nautical bug!
How's that Cleo coming, Max? Loved the last post with closeup photos of your cannon gems...talk about working in details! She's coming along beautifully!!
Later, folks!
Jim
Copiague
Long Island
New York

barry

Hi All

Currently building Scharnhorst and Graf Spee. I have JSC's Nelson waiting to be built, but I think, as it's my birthday, I will treat myself to Digital Navy's "Takao".

I would dearly like to mount my waterline models in a realistic looking sea does anyone know of a site which describes this technique.

I really enjoy reading the daily update on Cleopatra but I think my fingers are too stiff to do all those pulley blocks.

I will try putting a couple of photographs up from the old site and then you can see my level of ability.

barry

barry

Hi

Thanks for the water site.

I added a picture of the progress on "Graf Spee" in my album.

Picture is not good I haven't got used to the camera yet.

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Barry:
I like the Scharnhorst! :D

Is that the JSC kit, or another; and what scale.
Any tips or comments you have for making those barrels would be appreciated.
Thanks for the photos!
Jim
Copiague
Long Island
New York

barry

Scharnhorst

Hi jim

model is Zio's scale is 1/400

regarding the gun barrels use very thin paper and thick patience and throw a lot away. Main and secondary armament are Ok but I struggled with the AA and as I was trying to roll them on a piece of plastic sprue I finally cut off the right length of sprue and then added the outer barrel with thin paper. (Sorry I cheat).

I put another pic or 2 in my gallery

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Ah, Zio's Scharnhorst!
Very nice model, and in the smaller scale I like best.
I got the download a while back, one of the "to be done" projects on my list. It's not the hi-res version he apparently sold at one time, but he hasn't offered it for a very long time, as I recall. Every time I write to find out if he is offering it, I never get a reply. :cry:
Your modeling work is great, Barry, and I enjoy seeing how others tackle the various things we come across in building ships. Thanks for your reply and sharing your tips.
I have been brain storming a bit on how to tackle some rigging in my 1/200 Wilhelmshavener Constitution, and have been toying with using some jigs to make the gun tackles (there are 20 carronades and two bow chasers to set up on the spar deck), which leads me to thinking about the shrouds and jiggers, etc.; the idea I have got is to use a jig that sets up the lines and then apply future floor wax to stiffen the lines. One of the things I have been worried about is how the normal rigging stresses might affect the paper sparring. I suppose one solution is to use a plastic or dowel in the core, as I am sure I will need to do with the smaller masts and yards, but if I have the line "pre-stressed", so to speak, perhaps there will be no major problems....hope springs eternal, no? :wink:
Looking forward to more update photos as you go along!
Take care,
Jim
Copiague
Long Island
New York

Jim Krauzlis

Thanks for the link for the article; it's one of the better articles on building a sea base I have come across!
Super link!!
Thanks,
Jim

barry

Hi

I like the corporal's V108, much neater than my efforts!

I looked at the £ / $ rates this morning and I decided there would never be a better time to buy Digital Navy's "Takao", hope I am not biting off more than I can chew. I can always print it out again when I screw up.

barry

bwallaw

Great Thread

Hello everyone-

I came on board here after the new site was up and I have been checking out the links to the old Cleopatra thread which as all have noted is loaded with great information. It's a great resource for paper shipbuilding and paper modeling in general Thanks.

I haven't built a single ship yet but have started a free model of the Ambrose Lightship that I downloaded from Digital Navy. Looks like it may be a reasonably quick build, though maybe a bit tough for a first try. I have built a number of buildings and auto's, but I now have the ship bug. Look forward to sharing my progress! Great info so far.

Bill

Jim Krauzlis

Speaking of the Cleo, Max, where are the postings that use to be under Kit reviews?
Seems the lot of it on Cleo is now gone :cry:
Wot hoppin?? :?
Jim