Weird steam locomotive

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
www.rankinrevolutions.com
I caught apart of this show featuring all sorts of trains. One that caught my eye was this train that takes turists to and across victoria falls. The track is extreamly lite weight so the loco has to have more wheels to spread out the weight. These pics were captured from the video so they are not very good.

Attachments

• vid pic set 20003.jpg
    vid pic set 20003.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 195
  • vid pic set 20005.jpg
    vid pic set 20005.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 196
  • vid pic set 20008.jpg
    vid pic set 20008.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 191

artur_p

Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
it looks like the 4-8-2+2-8-4 Garratt from South Africa.
viewphoto.php

viewphoto.php

viewphoto.php

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Garratts were quite common in many African countries and also found in Australia and even the UK. In general, it seems that railroads that emulated British practice in the steam era used Garratts when they needed articulateds, while railroads that emulated US practice used Mallets.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Actually, it was very common here in the US to spread out the weight of a locomotive to reduce the axle loadings.

Take for instance a C&O 2-6-6-6, they actually out weighed the UP 4-8-8-4s, yet had 2 fewer axles. The result was the heaviest axle loadings of any locomotive ever built...and the ultimate machine for wearing out track. (That coupled with the penalty from grossly exceeding the total weight (a danger with bridges), the Lima Locomotive Works cheated in the scale house and lied about the total weight to avoid trouble with the C&O. It was eventually discovered when the Virginian ordered their "light" alleghanies that were quoted at a higher weight the C&O alleghanies...and the ensuing settlement with the C&O caused Lima to lose money on the 2-6-6-6 design.)

An excellent example of utilizing lighter axle loadings was what occured north of the border. The Canadian National, which was similar to our Conrail, utilitzed 4-8-4s to reduce the axle loadings on it's sub-par track while the well built Canadian Pacific utilized 4-6-4s.

Btw, the Beyer-Garrat pictured would be a meter gauge locomotive. They also have berkshires & such. If I recall, part of the design was to keep some of the weight from the water on the drivers, but the downside is that if you need to start a train without much water, you have a lower factor of adhesion.

Note: a Factor of Adhesion is the ration of the weight on drivers to the tractive effort. 4.0 was considered ideal. A locomotive with a low FoA will slip alot...especially when starting a train. The N&W class A's actually had their tractive effort reduced (limited cutoff) in order to help improve their factor of adhesion. It doesn't matter how powerful a locomotive is if it slips to much to start a train.

EDIT: the well known large US steam engines...Big Boys, Challengers, Yellowstones, Alleghanies, N&W Class As, and such were NOT mallets. A mallet recycles steam while these super power locomotives generated enough steam to not need recycled steam.

Dragon

Nov 13, 2003
Western NY
www.dragonmnt.com
<quote>the well known large US steam engines...Big Boys, Challengers, Yellowstones, Alleghanies, N&W Class As, and such were NOT mallets. A mallet recycles steam while these super power locomotives generated enough steam to not need recycled steam.</quote>

Wasn't the definition of a Mallet one that takes the exhaust steam from the high-pressure cylinders and puts it through a set of low-pressure cylinders?
No matter HOW MUCH steam these big locos generated, don't they still take the exhaust from the rear cylinders and put it through the front set?

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
i thought all articulateds used the leftover steam from the rear cylinders to power the front cylinders.i have a book on it ill look it up later.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Actually, it was very common here in the US to spread out the weight of a locomotive to reduce the axle loadings.
What was very common? Mallets (well, actually, most of them weren't "true" Mallets) were the preferred type of articulated in North America. There were no Garratts here.
Btw, the Beyer-Garrat pictured would be a meter gauge locomotive.
South African railways are 3'6" gauge.

slekjr

Feb 13, 2007
to Ohio
www.kiskijunction.com
I was under the impression that Mallet designed the hinged locomotive and that we had both simple and compound types here in the US. The compound being the ones that reused the steam in the front drivers, hence needing larger pistons.

Omber

Feb 15, 2007
Calgary, Canada
Garrats were extreemly popular in Africa and to some extent in Australia I believe due to the massive power they produced on relativley light axle load (remember that most of African and Australian lines are to these days 3ft 6in lines not standard gauge running modern trains at high speeds of 80kph and units developing horsepower that is similar or same to that seen on standard gauge RR's in North America.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
slekjr is correct in his comment about mallets, simple and compound. There is a video available about a Beyer Garrett that was bought in South Africa and returned to Great Britian for use on a tourist railroad.

Omber

Feb 15, 2007
Calgary, Canada
Sorry :) I didnt know the detailes but I did read about Garrants being the preveil type in Africa and Oceania, so I just wrote what I read :) While on the topic - has anyone ever seen any model Garrats for H0 scale ?:)

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
There is a company in Great Britian called Backwoods Minatures that either has or will have a narrow gauge Bayer Garrett available.