Weight or not?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Sparky75, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Sparky75

Sparky75 New Member

Been running my HO/HON3 layout for several years, works fine but have occasional derailments, never weighted my cars, old time 35-40' freight, wonder if it would help?
  2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

NMRA standard is 1/2 oz plus 1/2 oz for each inch of car length, roughly 3 1/2 to 5 oz for most HO cars. I use that for the most part, makes for a satisfying feat when you get one of your prize lokeys to pull a full string weighted like this up a 1.75% grade :thumb:
  3. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

I find my trains run much smoother when cars are properly weighted. Almost no derailments and longer trains too. Weighting is worth the work.
  4. Sparky75

Sparky75 New Member

Weight or not

OK guys I will try weighting, have a problem with some of my cars because the doors and roof are glued on, probably can get into enough for one train, my cars weigh 2-2/2 ounces so will be about doubling their weight, I have Kaydee couplers and I hope it doesn't pull them apart!
  5. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

I have to agree with Bob and Robin. Since I have been following the weight guidelines I have fewer problems with the cars operating.
  6. XavierJ123

XavierJ123 Member

Have you tried the quick and easy fix? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Just turn the car around. I did this and never had any trouble with that car since. It has something to do with the alignment of the wheels.
  7. Sparky75

Sparky75 New Member

Great looking layout Tom !!
  8. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

If you work carefully with a small srewdriver you can most of the time break the glue joint on such cars. When weighting it is best to add equally as close to the trucks as possible, as low as possible, and keep them balanced end to end and side to side. Pennys with double sided foam tape is the cheapest way I found to do this. Fred