Weight for Freight car?

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Howdy Guys

Well ive got three of the five cars I found in the bargain bin fixed up and lookin great.

But im a little stuck on one car. It is a scratchbuilt (and impressive scratch at that) 40Ft box car, assembled out of basslewood. I put plastic trucks and 33'metal wheels on it. That being said, its extremely light, and in desperate need of some weight. Now I know that weights are sold for the cars...but I dont know what I need. My LHS guy (not my regular helper) gave me some song and dance about weighing the car, what my trucks will support...blah blah blah...Im not exactly a rivet counter when it comes to weight of the cars. (I am in other categories)...So my question is...what kind of weight, or how many ounces are in a weight for a standard freight car? I dont need to get too technical..I just need something to keep it on the tracks.

Heres a run down of the specs if its any help.

HO
33"" Wheels
Metal Wheels
Plastic Trucks
Basselwood Frame
40 Ft Boxcar

And of course, a completely unhelpfull fuzzy pic. Thanks in advance guys!!!!

Attachments

• UPyellowscratchcar.jpg
    UPyellowscratchcar.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 66

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Well as far as those wooden car kits I found 2 1/2 inch nuts would work or 6 1/2" washers.
It is NOT a song and dance there is truth in that man's words..Weigh a car to heavily it looses roll ability.:(

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Play-doh: The NMRA RP for HO cars is 1 ounce +1/2 oz per inch of car length.
A 40' car is around 5.5" so 2+(5.5 *.5) =4.75 oz.
I'm not sure how to weight it. That becomes a problem with an assembled car.
I buy those little lead weights with the sticky tape on them. Others use fishing sikers or lead shot - need some way to fasten it. Do the doors open? I've heard of wrapping solid wire solder around the axles; would that give enough weight?
I'm in the market for a scale -- I think a postal scale with out-of-date prices might be good value.

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
brakie said:
Well as far as those wooden car kits I found 2 1/2 inch nuts would work or 6 1/2" washers.
It is NOT a song and dance there is truth in that man's words..Weigh a car to heavily it looses roll ability.:(

I should have worrded that differently Brakie...I didnt doubt the mans credibility or his experience...I knew he wasnt blowing smoke..I just didnt want to get that techincal I guess.

I DO have access to a digital scale....Should I weigh the car or just stick to the NMRA standard? Do I weigh it with or without wheels? And yes, the doors do open!

Thanks for your help guys!!!

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
We're talking total weight here -- with trucks couplers and all the wire grabirons.
I don't think you have to worry about overloading the trucks, unless you have some really old ones that had to be glued together. Even those ones should support our modest weight.

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
60103 said:
We're talking total weight here -- with trucks couplers and all the wire grabirons.
I don't think you have to worry about overloading the trucks, unless you have some really old ones that had to be glued together. Even those ones should support our modest weight.

Oh ok! Thats what I thought! Ive got it from here guys! Thanks!!!

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Play-Doh said:
I should have worrded that differently Brakie...I didnt doubt the mans credibility or his experience...I knew he wasnt blowing smoke..I just didnt want to get that techincal I guess.

I DO have access to a digital scale....Should I weigh the car or just stick to the NMRA standard? Do I weigh it with or without wheels? And yes, the doors do open!

Thanks for your help guys!!!

I would add 2 nuts and weigh the car..That should be around 3 ozs.
Many of todays modelers feel RP20.1 is out dated since it was meant for cars made in the 50s.Its diffidently outdated for todays long wheel base cars!

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
brakie said:
I would add 2 nuts and weigh the car..That should be around 3 ozs.
Many of todays modelers feel RP20.1 is out dated since it was meant for cars made in the 50s.Its diffidently outdated for todays long wheel base cars!

Thats what Ill do Brakie...the nuts would probably be a better Idea rather than paying LHS prices for the weights...

Thanks for your advice as always!

JR&Son

Dec 26, 2006
Near the NCVA RR
Lets talk about weights for a minute.
I use stick on tire weight
They come in .25oz, .50oz and 1 oz.
And you get them from your local tire guys.
The most I have EVER paid for them is $1.00USD for 12 sticks
I dont remember how much they weighted, but it was close to a pound!
I normally just tell them what I want them for, and they hand me 2 to 4 sticks!
The last 4 I was given were .50oz break aparts and each stick weighted 6 ozs.
These are the same thing as this
360 for $25.00USD.
When I was in the tire business, Im positive we only paid $10.00USD for this size box
So JC Whitney is making a bit of money also!

JR&SON

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
I usually stick pretty close to the NMRA standards. The cheapest weights I know of are pennies. I use Walthers Goo or thick CA type glue to hold them in. Each penny weighs about 2.5 grams (1 oz = 28 grams)