4-1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

jbaakko

I recently purchased a Proto 2000 SD45 from Mike Rose ( http://www.mrhobby.com ), that was project started by Brian Banna. I'm not sure what Brian was planning for the unit but he had removed all the paint from the shell, except for the cab and underframe.

In any case, I had started carving up an Genesis SD70M cab a few months back, planning to build an MK5000C or MPEX 5000. The combination of the two, just made the deal sweeter, add to that the upcoming (less then a week!) Western Prototype Modelers meet (WPM), I started my work...

The prototype:
http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=117818

The model:

The walkways required the removal of the anti-climers, to be replaced with larger ones. I've installed Details West AC 189's on each end. I'll be replacing the end tread plates in the process. I've also removed the cast on sub-base, since the cab will have its own cabinet doors (odd ones at that).

The cab needs more work. I would like some measurements, but if nothing I'll do some educated guesstimate measuring based on the photos I have. I'll have to scratch build the whole nose, and shorten the cab sides & roof. I plan to use my Micromark etcher to make new cab window frames, nose door, and the cabinet doors.

The unit has 3 speed recorders on each truck! I still need to identify the plow (been to busy finishing up what I can before WPM), and order all details I'll need.

In any case, I hope you've enjoyed this introduction to a model I'll be displaying at WPM! If you're there, and happen to see me wandering around (I'll be sporting my Cannon & Co shirt [hummm, but I'm not displaying any Cannon & co products]), stop me and say hi! (Note, I no longer have the goatee, my current employer wants military appearance!) I'll be more then welcome to chat it up about my crazy ideas for projects.

Model photos:
mpex5000_02.jpg

mpex5000_01.jpg

Of note, the ES44DC in those photos will also be at WPM, with a little distinguishing features lesson on its display card. I'm modeling 1 of 22 of that specific "series" per details. I'll explain more later.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Keep us up to date n the project Josh. I like that proto photo of the MPEX 5000.

The largest power on my layout is a trio of U Boats, two of which can be seen passing the aggregate plant...

IMG_0404.jpg

Ralph

Nazgul

Using MS photo editor.....

I was experimenting with a pic I took of my coal mine. I used photo editor to change the original into a "watercolor painting". Nothing earth shattering, but I thought it was kind of cool:cool::

ORIGINAL

Picture241.jpg

Watercolor

Picture241watercolor2.jpg