Weekly Foto Phun Week of Nov. 2 2007

CNWman

CNW Fan
Hmmmm, let's see.... first off, that engine does not belong to the actual Savage company, I can see that the little I.D. marking under the cab window end in an 'X', which is almost always used to mark leased rolling stock (I think it's used for military trains, I dunno). Second, it's a B23/30-7 or a close relative, I can tell because I own a model of a B23-7 and that engine looks close to my model, and third, it's probably an ex-Conrail because of the second observation (B23/30-7's used to head all of Conrail's hottest freights)

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
DCP_6313.jpg

jesso

Trainnut,
I love your yard, I like how it curves through the space available. I bet ph(f)oamers love getting pictures from the bridge:thumb:

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
The other end of the yard is a little awkward and if my expansion ever happens, that is one of the things I hope to fix.

Bones

Great pictures everyone!!!

When we were coming back from the train show, we stopped at the Utah Railway yard and saw quite a few engines sitting there.

ursavage.jpg

Judging by the background, specifically Parley's Canyon, I'd say this is the Midvale yard. If so, that "B" is probably used as a yard engine or for local switching. Unless it's geared to MU with the rest of the fleet, they wouldn't take it out on any of the real revenue runs.
-My guess.

Nazgul

Great pics everyone!

Kurt...I love that engine! and it looks perfect on your beautiful layout!
Mark...I don't know where this thread would be without you!

chessie4155

Steve: Thank you kindly but its not just me it's everyone who takes the time to take pics and post them...:thumb: Keep em comin Folks..

Waitin on a Train..
HPIM0100.jpg

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Deano
Nice looking UP units!

Scott
Great proto shots!

B28_82
Cool! Looks like fun!

TrainNut
Great looking yard!

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
On another forum someone asked for the roofs of a couple the cars so I figure I would post them here also.

Here are the roofs of the Accurail Lehigh Valley 50’ Exterior Post Boxcar and the Atlas Trainman Ashley Drew & Northern 50’-6” Boxcars.

LNE_roofs002a.jpg

LNE_roofs003a.jpg

LNE_roofs006a.jpg

I weathered the roofs by applying a wash of Folk Art Charcoal Gray. Next was a wash of Folk Art Burnt Sienna. Then I quickly went over them with a light airbrushing of the following colors in order:
• Folk Art Charcoal Gray
• Folk Art Raw Umber
• Folk Art Licorice
Lastly I sealed them with Dullcoat.

Triplex

Hmmmm, let's see.... first off, that engine does not belong to the actual Savage company, I can see that the little I.D. marking under the cab window end in an 'X', which is almost always used to mark leased rolling stock (I think it's used for military trains, I dunno). Second, it's a B23/30-7 or a close relative, I can tell because I own a model of a B23-7 and that engine looks close to my model, and third, it's probably an ex-Conrail because of the second observation (B23/30-7's used to head all of Conrail's hottest freights)
B30/36-7 - it's got eight full-height doors for the 16-cylinder engine, as compared to six doors on a B23-7 or a B30-7A. Isn't the main difference between the 30 and 36 the larger exhaust stack on the 36? In that case, I think it's a B36-7. The number would then be horsepower-based. GE B36-7 roster It can't be ex-SBD/CSX, because those units have Blomberg trucks. The next-largest set of 36s are Conrail, so there's a good chance it's an ex-Con.

b28_82

I was trying to make it out there yesterday as well but by the time my littlest one woke up from his nap, it was too late. What'ja think of that ride? ...15 minutes out and 15 minutes back for a 30 minute ride. They've got nearly 14 miles of track out there now.

Yeah that wasn't a bad ride! I think that was one of the longer ones I've been on. The first one I had ever been on was a small loop at a thrashing show when i was little and the guy would go around 2 or 3 times. Too bad you didn't make it out there.

Jake

cnw1961

Ralph, your aggregate plant on the hill is awesome. I am an admirer of your industrial structures :wave:.
Tom, your subtle weathering looks fantastic. Thank you for the tips :thumb:.
Mark, love that shot along the track and through the bridge – great stuff.
Steve, thank you :wave:. No wonder you like this engine – it’s a Baldwin :twisted::mrgreen:.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Looks like I missed a few folks

Kurt
Love the street running!

Chessie4155
Awesome shot of the L&N unit!

Ed
Nice looking loco!

Chessie4155
Neat shot down the tracks!

tomkat13

first comment: holy crud tomkat, those are some great closeups. What kind of camera setup did you use to take those?

Kevin

Canon Power Shot A540 (paid $179.00) shot at f8.0 with camera placed on the layout and photo cropped with a free software called arfanview.