Weekend Question: L.E.D.’s or Incandescent or both??????

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
After spending a lot of time and money installing adequate lighting in the layout room, and then a lot more time and money on trains, buildings and scenery, night operations are no longer allowed.:D (Although I often feel like I'm in the dark about something or other.:rolleyes: )
At one time, I did install lights in some structures, but I found that operations in a darkened room were not much fun. Nowadays, I remove the lights from most of my locos, and replace them with additional weight for improved pulling power. While lighting can look effective, especially in a photograph, the first time that a headlight flickers or a passenger car's lights dim as the train crosses a turnout pretty much spoils it for me. I do appreciate the effort that others put into lighting effects, but it's not something that I want to spend time on.

Wayne

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Like Wayne I remove the lights in my locomotives since they are dim anyway..I don't add lights to mt structures..I tried using yard lights one time for night yard switching but,I felt it was to awkward.Look nice though.:D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Got most of the interiors of my structures lit using incandescent bulbs because of the intensity and the ability to vary the amount of light. I've also kept the bulbs in all the locos I've got, including the ones that I restored. I think it would be too much hassle to change them out in my N scale stuff. I've got lots of LEDs, literally thousands of T1 3/4 and T1's left from our business but they're all too big for me to use on my layout, so the answer to the question is, no, I don't have any LED's on my layout or on my rolling stock. Yes, I will have LED's on my control panels when I get around to building them though...:rolleyes:

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
I have incandescent lights in all my buildings and use a rheostat to dim them so they have a nice look. Even though I have fluorescent lighting now in the train room, I have also installed a few incandescents (also on a dimmer switch) so night operations can be carried out (not in complete darkness, of course...). Night operations add a whole other dimension to running trains.
I also tried lighting a couple of my cabooses but the constant flickering killed the effect. I'll try using a 9v. battery & a microswitch later on for these.