Weekend question, 12-8, 9 and 10

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
There are those modelers that have a neat and tidy layout and an even tidier work area. If it doesn't look good, work or run, into the trash it goes. :eek: Then there's the other 99.95% of us that are of the mindset that we can always get something to run someday, make something look better, find that one "missing" part or you'll never know when something can be used somewhere... so we never seem to throw anything away.hamr Which prompts this question:

Do you have one or more "junk" piles around your work area, and if so, basically, what's in them?

We can discuss my junk piles as soon as I can find them all...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Midnight

Oct 15, 2006
SC
tmu.lilting.org
Well, I don't have anything related to trains in my house but I may be getting something for Christmas. I'll tell you, instead about the junk piles in my locker.
In one stack, there all my binders and text books lined up nice 'n' neat. Then on the shelf below that are the papers that I can't remember where they're from. On the wall are my reminders pinned up with magnets. That's pretty much it. :/

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
What's a clean area in the workshop or train room look like.
If someone has one, can they post a pic...I'd like to see what a clean, organized, train room and workshop look like.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
No Problem Ed.....
attachment.php

It was like that for 10 minutes :D :D :D

Lets seeeeeeeeee :)

Pile Number 1 To left of work area.. Wood scraps of every shape and size, none longer than 2 feet and 1" doameter - mostly trim and small scrap.
2 ~ to left of that pile... Misc. wire strands, half completed circuits (don't ask - I have no idea what's there)
3 ~ farther left along wall - Spray paint cans in a milk carton
4 ~ main shelf unit - 3 shelves - "good" junk including motors that I'll use someday
5 ~ Further left along front wall now - Pile of cardboard
6 ~ filing cabinet with Railroad books and pieces of Baldwin loco works that found their way into my pocket as it was being demolished :D :D With permission of course :)
7 _ Second shelf with organizer - screws, nuts, bolts, small train parts, all kinds of stuff in about 60 compartments and larger wood pieces on shelf below
8 - Another cabinet with (you were waiting for this) Transforrmers - all 20 work too!!! 3 Loinel and the rest miscellaneous
9 ~ pile if electrical componants, lights, wires etc
10 ~ Organiuzer with LED's and other small electrical componants

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
All of my train stuff is packed away in Rubbermaid tubs while I'm in school and between layouts. What's strewn everywhere now, however, is all my lit homework...

cedarcreekrr

Jul 17, 2006
Garrett, IN
I start one project and then I,ll start another until I have about four or five cluttering up the room. Someday I might actually finish one .

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
I am a professed Packrat and have filled up shops with stuff/junk. I've had to cut back, it was too much. I still trying to train myself to put my tools away after each daily use. It's easier if every tool has a home to go to everynight, but they still have to actually get there. :thumb:

That's the problem.:D

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Being stuck in the apartment, I dont have a workbench. Not letting that stop me, I scratchbuild on the floor. So sadly everyday my floor has all sorts of styrene scraps and bits of wood. Also bottles of pain everywhere and brushes. Even worse, I rarely vacume...im afraid id suck up something I need!

Then again the day will come when I lodge something into my bare foot!

TJ

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I have most of my "junk" organized in drawers and boxes.
Current and future projects are in their own boxes on shelves, parts are stored according to manufacturer and application (loco, rolling stock, Building) in drawers and boxes.

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
That's a sick photo Mikey. I don't even have a portion of my layout that looks that uncluttered! LOL! I have seven projects going on my workbench right now. When I get frustrated with one, I move to another. I have three eight foot shelves under the layout with projects/kits waiting for me to start. I have another shelf with completed stuff that hasn't made it to the layout yet, in some cases I would have to move tools, paint, wire etc. to position them. I did finally buy one of those lazy-susan organizers for my workbench tools but haven't been able to clear enough space to put it in yet. That's a Christmas holiday project. As whether any of my piles are junk, no way! Last month I gathered a shoebox full of junk accumulated over twenty years and actually disposed of it, well almost a shoebox full. Mostly it was paint bottles with dried out paint.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
santafewillie said:
That's a sick photo Mikey. I don't even have a portion of my layout that looks that uncluttered! LOL! I have seven projects going on my workbench right now. When I get frustrated with one, I move to another. I have three eight foot shelves under the layout with projects/kits waiting for me to start. I have another shelf with completed stuff that hasn't made it to the layout yet, in some cases I would have to move tools, paint, wire etc. to position them. I did finally buy one of those lazy-susan organizers for my workbench tools but haven't been able to clear enough space to put it in yet. That's a Christmas holiday project. As whether any of my piles are junk, no way! Last month I gathered a shoebox full of junk accumulated over twenty years and actually disposed of it, well almost a shoebox full. Mostly it was paint bottles with dried out paint.
announce1 No Noooo No -- Old paint doesn't count!!!! :D :D

Ya have to throw out "Potentially Good stuff" for it to count! tooth1 goldtoth1 tooth1
Like I said, that bench was clean for a few minutes LOL Not very long at all :D :D :D

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
I'll show you junk

I'll take up a lot of space w/pics. Fist, my back yard, bottom: trains and wood shop, top: all trains. First pics are downstairs, the 1st 5, I believe. All others are up. Built in '88, and had 5 heart attacks, 3 back surgeries, and a new knee since.

Lynn

Attachments

• 100_1151.JPG
    100_1151.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_1138.JPG
    100_1138.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_1139.JPG
    100_1139.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 100_1140.JPG
    100_1140.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 100_1141.JPG
    100_1141.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 48

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
last

Look at these and I'll bore you no more.

Lynn

Attachments

• 100_1146.JPG
    100_1146.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_1147.JPG
    100_1147.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 27
  • 100_1148.JPG
    100_1148.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 100_1149.JPG