Weekend in Williams, AZ.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
My family and I hauled the 'ol travel trailer up to Williams this weekend to take my son to see Thomas The Tank Engine. Of course Dad found a little time to take a few other pictures as well. Here's a bunch of pics from our weekend.
I look forward to your comments.

Attachments

• DCP_3540.jpg
    DCP_3540.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 142
  • DCP_3544.jpg
    DCP_3544.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 141
  • DCP_3545.jpg
    DCP_3545.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 146
  • DCP_3550.jpg
    DCP_3550.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 143
  • DCP_3555.jpg
    DCP_3555.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 141

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
& maybe just a few more...

Attachments

• DCP_3561.jpg
    DCP_3561.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 142
  • DCP_3570.jpg
    DCP_3570.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 146
  • DCP_3577.jpg
    DCP_3577.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 144
  • DCP_3579.jpg
    DCP_3579.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 140

ezdays

Out AZ way
Yeah, that's always a good place to go. I see they have a new engine, Thomas not included :D. I'm not one for being able to ID a loco, do you know what that one is, the one in your third shot?

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Nice pics. I was there in the early '90's. They only had three steam locos back then.
Its an F40 Don. Probably an old AMTRACK unit, since they have switched to the Genisis and been phasing out the F40.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
ezdays said:
I see they have a new engine, Thomas not included :D. I'm not one for being able to ID a loco, do you know what that one is, the one in your third shot?
You know, I was not paying that close of attention but I imagine it looked a whole lot like this one when they got a hold of it....
This one was also out back 'round front of the engine shed.

Attachments

• DCP_3556.jpg
    DCP_3556.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 111

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Great Photo's TrainNut. Thanks for sharing them with us. Looks like you all had a great time.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

ezdays

Out AZ way
eightyeightfan1 said:
Nice pics. I was there in the early '90's. They only had three steam locos back then.
Its an F40 Don. Probably an old AMTRACK unit, since they have switched to the Genisis and been phasing out the F40.
Yeah, it's the new paint job that throws you. I've never seen one that wasn't painted in Amtrac colors.:rolleyes:

Russ Bellinis

When we rode the Grand Canyon RR a couple of years ago, they had a couple of F40ph's still in Amtrak colors. The guide mentioned that one F40ph would put out as much powr as the pair of Fa's they had pulling the train. I was hoping that they could find a way to put the Fa car body on the F40ph, I guess it either isn't possible or too expensive.

doctorwayne

If I'm not mistaken, that F40 puts out 3000 hp, with some of that used for headend power. The FPA/FPB-4 combo puts out 3600 hp, and unless they've been regeared, were used in regular service on CNR and VIA at 90 mph.
Thanks, TrainNut, for posting the pictures of my favourite diesel. Here's a pair that I built for my own road, using Model Power FA/FB-2s as the starting point.

100_5439.jpg

Wayne

Russ Bellinis

I may have misunderstood the tour guide from the Grand Canyon RR. He may have said that the F40ph puts out almost as much power as two of the FPA's. In any event, I hope they don't replace the FPA's. I like the older locomotives. I think the other advantage of the F40ph is that with hep they could eliminate the need for a steam generator car and convert everything to run off hep.

doctorwayne

Thanks, TrainNut. The contraptions on the roof are icicle breakers. They're used to break icicles off the roof of tunnels, in order to prevent damage to the windows of domed passenger cars.

Wayne

Russ Bellinis

doctorwayne said:
Thanks, TrainNut. The contraptions on the roof are icicle breakers. They're used to break icicles off the roof of tunnels, in order to prevent damage to the windows of domed passenger cars.

Wayne
I can understand why the Grand Canyon RR would have taken them off if they were on there when they got the locomotives. They don't have any tunnels and only one bridge in Williams where they cross the BNSF mainline. I don't remember which train goes over and which goes under, but I would imagine it would be much easier to just send someone over to break icicles if any developed.

doctorwayne

Russ, I don't think that the CNR had icicle breakers on their FPA-4s, as I'm pretty sure their normal haunts were in southern Ontario and the Windsor/Montreal corridor. My models have them mainly 'cause I think that they look neat. My paint scheme is based on the CNR's freight scheme: the real ones wore the passenger black/green/gold originally.

Wayne

RailRon

Train Nut, thanks for the beautiful pictures. On the second shot we can clearly see why the ALCO engines often were called 'honorary steam engines'. Look at the smoke belching out of the stacks!

What type of loco is Thomas the Tank Engine? Is it only a 'dummy unit' or is it really powered?

Ron

Russ Bellinis

RailRon said:
Train Nut, thanks for the beautiful pictures. On the second shot we can clearly see why the ALCO engines often were called 'honorary steam engines'. Look at the smoke belching out of the stacks!

What type of loco is Thomas the Tank Engine? Is it only a 'dummy unit' or is it really powered?

Ron

It is a British prototype 0-6-0 tank engine. I had thought it was narrow gauge, but it must be standard gauge because it is coming to the Orange Empire Railway Museum this fall and rides will be offered. The Thomas and Friends started as childrens books written in the U.K. that have since been made into videos and I think a childrens tv show that is very popular world wide. Obviously the original prototype locomotive did not have a face on the smoke box front, but In the books the engines all had names and faces, so it looks like they have put a face on "Thomas." One of our modelers of British steam will have to chime in to tell us what the prototype designation of Thomas is.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
RailRon said:

Ron
Sorry RailRon,
I missed the responses in this thread somehow. Don't know what type of engine it is. A while back, somebody on this site listed a link to a site that showed the real engines each "Thomas" engine was based on. Very interesting but it was a while ago. This one was definitely a dummy but it did have a working whistle and did emit some smoke. On the other end of the train was some sort of non descript, black, smoke bellowing, GP that pulled us out for about 15 minutes and then pushed us back in again. I'm sure Thomas got all the glory though!