Weekend 10-7 Museums???

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
A Railroad museum? We got no stinkin' railroad museum around these here parts....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Cowboy museums? Hey, we got dem guys all over de place...:thumb: Well, cowboys used to ride railroads so it's a long strech but I guess they go hand-in-hand. :wave:
Oh, have I ever visited my local railroad museum? Heck no...sign1

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
ezdays said:
A Railroad museum? We got no stinkin' railroad museum around these here parts....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Cowboy museums? Hey, we got dem guys all over de place...:thumb: Well, cowboys used to ride railroads so it's a long strech but I guess they go hand-in-hand. :wave:
Oh, have I ever visited my local railroad museum? Heck no...sign1
How about a museum with information on train robbers?? :rolleyes: goldtoth1 :rolleyes:

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
As a matter of fact...we're hoping to go to one taday. The North Carolina Transportation Museum. It is the only RR Museum I've ever been to so I'm not the best judge...but everything is free except for the train rides, and they have one of the largest roundhouses still in operation. There are several restoration projects in progress to several diesels and steamers as well as buildings. It oppocupies some of the buildings of the old Spencer Works for the Southern Railway which in its day was a vast complex employing thousands of people since the 1800's. If we go...I'll post some pic's.

And there's the best train store for miles located right across the street from the museum.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
There are two train museums in the general area. One is in Union, IL and the other is in Elgin, IL. The one in Elgin is more of a trolley museum though. I've been to Union, but not for a long time, and never been to the one in Elgin

MadCoW1

Jul 9, 2006
LaCrosse Wisconsin
Around these parts there are a few. It's been a while since I visited but from what I remember;

Mid-Continent---North Freedom, WI
Was a nice place to ride steam although it's been years since they have had any in operation. They offer a nice ride on a former CNW branh line once used for ore mining. Home of the CNW 1385 (in pieces) and some very fine older equipment.

National Transportation Museum-Green Bay, WI.
Great museum of historic displays. Train ride around the grounds usually handle by a CNW painted SW1. They have Gen Eisenhowers' special train, an Aerotrain, A U.P. 'Big-Boy' and this is the museum that lends the Milwaukee Road steamer #261 to the group that restored it. As a matter of fact I'm going to watch it about an hour from now running along the Mississippi river!! Tons of stuff to see at this museum. Also has a very large HO scal Model R.R. in the onsight depot.

Duluth, MN.
Awsome museum. Train ride with various power including RDC rides. Home of the 'Hustle Muscle', the first SD45 built(currently at Horicon WI getting re-painted). Also have a diplay featuring an articulated DM & IR loco that is on rollers so you can stand right next to it and watch it work. Also, they have the WC SD45 train simulator cab that the WC used to train new engineers on. I'm told that you can purchase time and run this. I actually trained on this during my engineer refresher course in Plover, WI.

Well that's about all I can add. These museums are far more than I described here, I just wanted to touch on them. All worth a visit. Hope you enjoy!!

Johnny

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
We have the L&N Depot in Milton, Florida. It has a nice assortment of cars, and hardware and a hobby shop to boot. 10% off everything and all money goes toward the museum so I shop there when I can. It has an old bridge tender's shack that houses a nicely done model railroad in HO with well done models of the depot and the swing bridge just down the line and in sight of the depot. For those interested, this year's Depot Day is Oct. 14 and features 1 1/2" scale train rides for the kids, one or two portable layouts, dogs and burgers and such.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
N Gauger said:
How about a museum with information on train robbers?? :rolleyes: goldtoth1 :rolleyes:
Got lots of those. Got museums on mining, I took some pictures up in Jerome of some ore cars they used up there and the Verde Valley Raiload was originally built to take ore out of the area. :D :D But Ray says I've been missing one in Chandler, just a mere 40 or 50 miles away... I gotta go see that one, looks like they have a decent collection of stuff there. :thumb: :thumb:

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
Pennsylvannia

The Pennsylvannia Railroad Museum in Strasburg PA is awesome, ALso Steamtown in PA is great to visit as well with their working roundhouse etc... Each museum is a great way to spend a day with the family. 4 star recommendation from me.

MadCoW1

Jul 9, 2006
LaCrosse Wisconsin
AndyWS said:

Well done Andy!! Thanks for embellishing. And a personal thanks for taking me back.......... Seeing the 1385 is still sad for me. I'll tell you it hasn't changed much since that photo. The Big Boy and some other heavy hitters are INSIDE buildings now!! Not many retired trains get that nice of treatment. I was also at the Black Hills R.R. A shot I took while there got published on the cover of Train Line back in the summer of 1998. It's a cool place and has 1 or 2 of the CNW drover cars. Anyway bravo, thanks for helping out!

Johnny

spankybird

OTTS Founder
May 13, 2005
Willoughby, Ohio, USA
We have several in our area. One is only 3 miles from me. The Western Reserve Model Railroad Museum. It has operating layout in O, S, HO, and N scales, plus they are in process of building an O gauge Trolley layout.

www.wrmrrm.shutterfly.com

There is also a small NKP musuem about 60 miles east of here, in Conneut, Ohio. It is a restored train station and they have a berk on display their. Alot of great items on display there.

47b6d934b3127cce8b05f8f57ee600000017108IZMmrFwxbA

47b6d934b3127cce8b05e755bfe100000017108IZMmrFwxbA

47b6d934b3127cce8b05faa67eb400000017108IZMmrFwxbA

There are several on the West end of the state that I have not yet visted.
:wave:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Luckily for us, there are a few to choose from around here...

Canadian Science & Technology Museum

Good - big trains indoors
Bad - they don't run :( ;)
Good - outdoor functional Shay that pulls a caboose and business car for rides, included in admission
Bad - track is only 500m long
Good - Canadian National archives are semi-searchable from the web site above

Smiths Falls Railway Museum of Eastern Ontariohttp://www.sfrmeo.ca/

Good - it's all about trains
Bad - relies on donations, so progress is slow
Good - recent expansion of tracks at museum means more things to see
Bad - track is not connected to anywhere
Good - best kept secret is a huge archive

Another local museum that features trains is Cumberland Heritage Museum, not to be confused with one in Cumberland BC...

Their trains are provided by an arrangement with the Ottawa Vallley Live Steamershttp://www.trainweb.org/ovlsme/. The other links from the main page seem to be inoperative right now, but check back. The museum is a great resource for modellers interesting in the golden age of steam - all the stuff at the museum is 1910 - 1940 vintage.

Andrew

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Streetcar museum

The nearest one to us the is Halton County Radial Railway or Ontario Electric Railway Historical Association.
http://www.hcry.org/index.htm
They have mostly Toronto streetcars, but also have other Ontario electric lines, a few buses (trolley and stink) and other items. They have much more eqipment than they can get under cover, and their proposed new car barn has been hit with a $90,000 business development tax!
It's an operating museum; most days have at least 3 cars running.
Located about an hour northwest of Toronto or 3 hours (+customs) east of Detroit.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Does this...

...qualify?

I was out scouting New Hope, PA locations for my wife's design business. She "unfortunately" :)D :eek:ops: ) was slaving at her NY studio.

announce1 I too however, being the galant warrior, was slaving over the road. Being ever vigilant I pressed on with my appointed duties. But alas, I heard the call of a wild ferroequine. I could taste it's breath in the air as it moved behind the misty hills afore me. Then, there- in the clearing beyond a field I came upon the fire breathing beast. In all its majesty it rumbled and puffed plumes of smoke. I took a couple of pictures then left cause my digital camera's battery crapped out. THE END.:rolleyes:

Mark

NHI.jpg