Weekend 10 - 21 Where???

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Ok, here's another one with potential....

Reminder: We reserve the right to delete any potentially bad posts. We do NOT want to hear of ANY tresspassing in any way shape or form! Please only answer the question with a well known, public place, you railfan in...

The weekend question: Where do you railfan??? For instance, when you want to take a few pics, where do you head to????

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

My Answer: I go to the local small town stations along the NE corridor in PA... I actually walk the platform "framing" my pics....

There are 5 in my area that allow for some really nice shots. Also, there is a CSX yard about 15 miles away. We go there every so often. It's right along side a road, we can park at the curb and take pics right out of the car window... Really neat!!!

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
I go up an hour north of here to Kelso WA. Luckily its the same place I fell in love with trains and I also model the area. The tracks run right near the road so I can walk the area and take pics quite easily. The big UPs come through almost hourly. I love it.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
There's no problem with watching trains and some yardwork since the BNSF runs parallel to the main highway a few miles from here. There's also an autorack depot and a bunch of sidings just about mile south of where I cross the tracks several times a day. I've stopped to take shots of a MOW crew as well.

About the only "ralifanning" I did recently was this summer up at the depot in Winslow, AZ. Lots of stuff going on up there. Got some nice shots of the eastbound Amtrak stopping to pick up that one lonely passenger.:rolleyes:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Lots of great places all over the Twin cities with legal access from roads and over passes. There's a junction between the WC and the Minnesota commercial within walking distance from my home with a small yard. Lots of switching action there on weekends.
Ralph

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
For me it's easy and legal. A few miles from me the BNSF (formerly ATSF) mainline from Ft. Worth to Oklahoma City runs parallel to a state highway from Haslet to north of Denton TX. It includes a wye with KCS north of Krum, several passing sidings and spurs over to the Alliance Yard. A rural road runs alongside the yard as well. 30-35 trains a day including KCS run-throughs to Alliance, Amtrak's Heartland Flyer, interchanges with KCS at the wye, unit trains, intermodal, and everything else imaginable travel this line. A few miles east from Ft. Worth to Denton the UP (formerly MKT) line runs alongside another state highway. Traffic is not as varied but is just as dense. I also work alongside another BNSF (formerly Frisco) mainline in Carrollton TX but I don't have much time to railfan that one.

train1

Jan 19, 2005
ontario
I look out my back deck when I hear the sound of the train sounding the horn at the Paris Junction crossing (to my west), or the wheels hitting the Paris Steel Bridge (to the east). I know the train will be in my yard in about 30 seconds either way.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
train1 said:
I look out my back deck when I hear the sound of the train sounding the horn at the Paris Junction crossing (to my west), or the wheels hitting the Paris Steel Bridge (to the east). I know the train will be in my yard in about 30 seconds either way.
Yeah - same here as far as "hearing the train a comin' " :D I can hear the NS (CSX) grade crossing whistles from almost anywhere around here... If I'm out in the car, I can beat the train to the field 3 out of 4 times :D (me on one side, train on the oher)

As far as the NE Cooridor, I can hear the whine of the electric engines and the noise of the wheels on the rails.. If I'm outside, I can look up my street and watch the trains go by :) :)

lionelfan

Nov 3, 2005
CLEVELAND,OHIO
I work next to the NS main in Berea Ohio and am about 5 minutes from Berea tower, so my railfanning is done in Berea Ohio where I can see NS and CSX.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Since there isn't one place I regularly hang out anymore I guess the best way to do this would be to see what locations show up in my slides from the summer...

May:
Edgerton, Ohio
Fostoria, Ohio
Maple Grove, Ohio
Old Fort, Ohio
Monroeville, Ohio
Bellevue, Ohio
Caroline, Ohio
Attica, Ohio
Willard, Ohio

June:
South Bend, Indiana
Niles, Michigan
Michigan City, Indiana
Wellsboro, Indiana
Attica, Ohio
Willard, Ohio
Continental, Ohio
Marion, Ohio
Waldo, Ohio
Circleville, Ohio
Chillicothe, Ohio
Oak Harbor, Ohio
Leipsic, Ohio
Deshler, Ohio
Hamler, Ohio
Defiance, Ohio

July:
Hamler, Ohio
Deshler, Ohio
Custar, Ohio
Attica, Ohio
Cleveland, Ohio
Berea, Ohio
Michigan City, Indiana
Porter, Indiana
Ogden Dunes, Indiana
Downers Grove, Illinois
Hinsdale, Illinois
Clinton, Iowa
Grand Mound, Iowa
Calamus, Iowa
Wheatland, Iowa
Malone, Iowa
Dewitt, Iowa
Walcott, Iowa
Stockton, Iowa
Durant, Iowa
Wilton, Iowa
West Liberty, Iowa
Downey, Iowa
Iowa City, Iowa
Cameron, Illinois
Galesburg, Illinois
Appleton, Illinois
Chillicothe, Illinois
Toluca, Illinois
Streator, Illinois
Wellsboro, Indiana

August:
Hamler, Ohio
Deshler, Ohio
Hoytville, Ohio
Bairdstown, Ohio
Fostoria, Ohio
Monroe, Michigan
Bryan, Ohio
Circleville, Ohio
Chillicothe, Ohio
Portsmouth, Ohio
Maysville, Kentucky
Cincinnati, Ohio
Troy, Ohio
Sidney, Ohio
Botkins, Ohio
Chicago, Illinois

Still waiting to get slides from September and October done but I'm sure there will be at least a dozen new places to add to the list!