Weekend 10 - 21 Where???

Discussion in 'The Caboose' started by N Gauger, Oct 21, 2006.

1. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Ok, here's another one with potential....

Reminder: We reserve the right to delete any potentially bad posts. We do NOT want to hear of ANY tresspassing in any way shape or form! Please only answer the question with a well known, public place, you railfan in...

The weekend question: Where do you railfan??? For instance, when you want to take a few pics, where do you head to????

My Answer: I go to the local small town stations along the NE corridor in PA... I actually walk the platform "framing" my pics....

There are 5 in my area that allow for some really nice shots. Also, there is a CSX yard about 15 miles away. We go there every so often. It's right along side a road, we can park at the curb and take pics right out of the car window... Really neat!!!
  2. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

I mostly go to the Cassandra Railroad Overlook which is about 3 miles from my house. I have also done some railfanning at Cresson, Rt53 Overpass ( Just outside of Cresson ) The Gallitzin Tunnels, & Altoona.
  3. Play-Doh

Play-Doh Member

I go up an hour north of here to Kelso WA. Luckily its the same place I fell in love with trains and I also model the area. The tracks run right near the road so I can walk the area and take pics quite easily. The big UPs come through almost hourly. I love it.
  4. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

There's no problem with watching trains and some yardwork since the BNSF runs parallel to the main highway a few miles from here. There's also an autorack depot and a bunch of sidings just about mile south of where I cross the tracks several times a day. I've stopped to take shots of a MOW crew as well.

About the only "ralifanning" I did recently was this summer up at the depot in Winslow, AZ. Lots of stuff going on up there. Got some nice shots of the eastbound Amtrak stopping to pick up that one lonely passenger.:rolleyes:
  5. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Anyplace & anywhere I come across ANY trains!
  6. N Gauger

sign1 sign1 sign1 sign1 Now THERE'S the definitive answer!!!!!!

goldtoth1 I railfan at every grade crossing - every time a train is going by!!!!! goldtoth1
  7. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Lots of great places all over the Twin cities with legal access from roads and over passes. There's a junction between the WC and the Minnesota commercial within walking distance from my home with a small yard. Lots of switching action there on weekends.
  8. santafewillie

santafewillie Member

For me it's easy and legal. A few miles from me the BNSF (formerly ATSF) mainline from Ft. Worth to Oklahoma City runs parallel to a state highway from Haslet to north of Denton TX. It includes a wye with KCS north of Krum, several passing sidings and spurs over to the Alliance Yard. A rural road runs alongside the yard as well. 30-35 trains a day including KCS run-throughs to Alliance, Amtrak's Heartland Flyer, interchanges with KCS at the wye, unit trains, intermodal, and everything else imaginable travel this line. A few miles east from Ft. Worth to Denton the UP (formerly MKT) line runs alongside another state highway. Traffic is not as varied but is just as dense. I also work alongside another BNSF (formerly Frisco) mainline in Carrollton TX but I don't have much time to railfan that one.
  9. train1

train1 Member

I look out my back deck when I hear the sound of the train sounding the horn at the Paris Junction crossing (to my west), or the wheels hitting the Paris Steel Bridge (to the east). I know the train will be in my yard in about 30 seconds either way.
  10. N Gauger

Yeah - same here as far as "hearing the train a comin' " :D I can hear the NS (CSX) grade crossing whistles from almost anywhere around here... If I'm out in the car, I can beat the train to the field 3 out of 4 times :D (me on one side, train on the oher)

As far as the NE Cooridor, I can hear the whine of the electric engines and the noise of the wheels on the rails.. If I'm outside, I can look up my street and watch the trains go by :) :)
  11. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I go mostly to the museums - not many roads seem to be running steamers anymore... :( ;) :D

12. lionelfan

lionelfan Member

I work next to the NS main in Berea Ohio and am about 5 minutes from Berea tower, so my railfanning is done in Berea Ohio where I can see NS and CSX.
  13. railohio

railohio Active Member

Since there isn't one place I regularly hang out anymore I guess the best way to do this would be to see what locations show up in my slides from the summer...

Edgerton, Ohio
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Maple Grove, Ohio
    Old Fort, Ohio
    Monroeville, Ohio
    Bellevue, Ohio
    Caroline, Ohio
    Attica, Ohio
    Willard, Ohio

South Bend, Indiana
    Niles, Michigan
    Michigan City, Indiana
    Wellsboro, Indiana
    Attica, Ohio
    Willard, Ohio
    Continental, Ohio
    Marion, Ohio
    Waldo, Ohio
    Circleville, Ohio
    Chillicothe, Ohio
    Oak Harbor, Ohio
    Leipsic, Ohio
    Deshler, Ohio
    Hamler, Ohio
    Defiance, Ohio

Hamler, Ohio
    Deshler, Ohio
    Custar, Ohio
    Attica, Ohio
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Berea, Ohio
    Michigan City, Indiana
    Porter, Indiana
    Ogden Dunes, Indiana
    Downers Grove, Illinois
    Hinsdale, Illinois
    Clinton, Iowa
    Grand Mound, Iowa
    Calamus, Iowa
    Wheatland, Iowa
    Malone, Iowa
    Dewitt, Iowa
    Walcott, Iowa
    Stockton, Iowa
    Durant, Iowa
    Wilton, Iowa
    West Liberty, Iowa
    Downey, Iowa
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Cameron, Illinois
    Galesburg, Illinois
    Appleton, Illinois
    Chillicothe, Illinois
    Toluca, Illinois
    Streator, Illinois
    Wellsboro, Indiana

Hamler, Ohio
    Deshler, Ohio
    Hoytville, Ohio
    Bairdstown, Ohio
    Fostoria, Ohio
    Monroe, Michigan
    Bryan, Ohio
    Circleville, Ohio
    Chillicothe, Ohio
    Portsmouth, Ohio
    Maysville, Kentucky
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Troy, Ohio
    Sidney, Ohio
    Botkins, Ohio
    Chicago, Illinois

Still waiting to get slides from September and October done but I'm sure there will be at least a dozen new places to add to the list!