Weekend 10-14-06 Special rides????

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Have you ever been on one of those railroad "Excersions"???

~~ Santa Specials
~~ Easter Bunny Specials
~~ Excursions of old locomotives/trains on present day R.O.W.??
~~ Train Robbery trips

Extra credit ~~ have you ever actually participated in them as an actor?
~~~ Really extra credit ~~ Did you help organize it?
~~~~~~ Double Secret extra credit ~~~ Were you on the train crew????

C'mon, dont be shy.... Gloat all you want to! :D :D :D :D

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
I've been on a few Strasburg Railroad Santa Specials... The funnyest one was when a 4 year old young man was with his mother and the kid didn't know exactly what happened on a Santa Special. :D

We're riding along all nice and quiet - listening to the clickety clack of the rails...and....

HO! HO! HO!!!!

The kids (including the 4 yr old) all turned around to see the jolly one, with tons of candy canes for the kiddies... :)

The 4 year old's mother said to her son, but loud enough for us to hear:
"See??? He's watching you ALL the time"!!
sign1 sign1 sign1

Words can't describe the look of realization on the young man's face..... But facination might some close.. :D :D :D

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Back in 2004 I went on a excersion on the Norfolk Southern Railroad, but it was two PRR E8 Diesels pulling the passenger train. I had a great time as for the first time I got to go around the horseshoe curve and through the tunnels at the top of the mountain. I had a great time and will never forget that.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
That all depends on what you consider an "excursion" ride. We've been on one that has no destination, the Verde Valley Railroad, through the, boy you can guess this one, Verde Valley here in Arizona. Another one that has a destination is the Grand Canyon Railroad, are you ready for this one, it goes from Williams, Arizona to the....Yeah, the Grand Canyon. Somehow, both times we took this one, the train was held up by a bunch of cowboys on horses. Boy, security really seems lax on that line. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

One of our sons takes his family up on the GCRR right before Christmas where they somehow manage to get re-routed and stop at the North Pole rather than the Grand Canyon.:D

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
No, but...

...I have been on the New Hope & Ivyland's dinner train. It's gone a bit pricey lately. I know, I just checked it out for a possible birthday treat for me and I thought I'd bring my wife (you know- bein' all romantic as I am:eek:ops: ).

The thing is- most eveyone coming on board seems to be in love. The last run is soon. So, the crisp fall weather, the smell of wood fires burning, a steam train waiting at the station- moonlight~~~

Mark (a.k.a. the 'ole romantic:cool:)

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
Hi all - I just did this Pumpkin Train sponsored by Quick Chek:

This train ride boasts the oldest operating Steam Engine in NJ... Upon investigation on the website, the steam engine was made in 1982 from a co in China - seems that it is the only company that makes Steam engines nowadays.... Engine # 242 was the engine designation shipped right over from our friends in china - Engine #241 was suppose to be the Engine for Excursions in NJ, but an unfortunate mis hap on the ship caused the 241 to capsize into the murky depths of the indian ocean - 6000 feet down..

It was a nice trip for a saturday for the kids - here is more info about it -

The New York Susquehanna & Western Technical & Historical Society is a non-profit educational society interested in the preservation of the rich railroad history of New Jersey, most specifically that of the New York Susquehanna & Western Railway. The Society has close to 600 members located in almost every state and many from around the world. The society is primarily funded by the many rail-excursion trips run every year and is partners in the Delaware River Railroad Excursions based out of Phillipsburg. Easter Bunny and Santa Claus train rides are a big favorite with the kids!
The Society owns three of the original four Susquehanna Budd cars, the only operating steam locomotive in the state of New Jersey and a fleet of over 20 passenger cars. If you are interested in railroading there are many ways to get involved. The society operates a beautiful new engine and car repair facility in Butler New Jersey, the beautifully restored Maywood Station, the Delaware River Railroad Excursions and our office in Rochelle Park. At all sites there is always plenty to do.
Take your time and look around the site. Enter the chat room, read some stories, or just browse through the many pictures. If you are interested in riding the very best historic train trips any where, visit the train trips area and buy tickets today!
*With a ticketed family member!

The New York Susquehanna & Western Technical & Historical Society Inc. was formed in the fall of 1988 by several longtime observers of the railroad who felt that there was a need for an organization to preserve the history of the "Susquehanna, its ancestor corporations and the rich railroading history of New Jersey.
Since that time, the Society has grown to over 550 members from 30 states, Canada and New Zealand. The society is incorporated in the state of New Jersey as a non-profit educational organization. It is also recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as a tax-exempt organization, as defined in section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
The Society produces an annual color calendar as well as its newsletter the Susquehanna Reflector. Bi-monthly meetings are held in Wyckoff, New Jersey, at the Wyckoff Public Library.
The Society also takes an active roll in community affairs; among them are the Children's Brain Tumor Foundation, and Operation Lifesaver. We are also members of the United Railroad Historical Society (URHS) and the Paulinskill Train committee as a furtherance of its endeavors.
A hallmark of the Society is its operations division, which has restored Budd Rail Diesel Car (RDC) M-1 to operating condition. This car has been active as an educational tool as well as a resource available for promoting the NYS&W Railway, the Society itself, and attractions adjacent to the railroad. Revenue generated by the M-1 will be used to support further enhancements to the car, as well as other activities of the Society.
142a.jpg
The Susquehanna used the RDC's for its Paterson NJ to Time Square (New York City) service. The service established, which didn't physically run into New York City (ran to Susquehanna Transfer near North Bergen NJ, connecting with a shuttle to the Port Authority Bus Terminal), was 10 minutes faster than the competing Inter-City Bus, and 30 minutes faster than the Erie Hudson Ferry.

By 1958, the Susquehanna was into a decline that would not be reversed until 1980. After a petition to end all passenger service, the Public Utilities commission allowed the NYS&W to end RDC service on January 12th of 1958. The RDC's were then sold to the Central Railroad of New Jersey (CNJ) in April of 1958. The ex NYS&W Budd's were renumbered 558-561, and joined several other Budds already owned by the CNJ. The M-1 and her sister Budd cars frequently ran through Dunellen. Following the demise of the CNJ in 1976, the car became property of the New Jersey Department of Transportation, and later New Jersey Transit. The M-1 ended its career on lease to the MBTA, Boston area commuter agency, as a non-powered coach in February of 1988.
m1.JPG

At this point the car was set aside for eventual inclusion in the New Jersey Transportation Museum. After receiving the car on long-term lease from the United Rail Historical Society (URHS) in August of 1989, the NYS&W T&HS began its project to restore the M-1 back to as delivered appearance. The car made its first return back to service when it ran under its own power on September 12, 1992. To date over $30,000 and 30,000 man-hours have gone into restoring the M-1.

Your Current Administration:
PRESIDENT Ray Pinglora Jr.
VICE PRESIDENT Chris Cotty
TREASURER Les Coleman
MECHANICAL DEPT.
CO CHAIRMEN Kevin Griggs,Martin DenBleyker
URHS DELEGATE Carl Ceragno
MEMBERSHIP Martin Den Bleyker/ Dan Onorevole

TRUSTEES
Walter Marsten
Martin Den Bleyker
Nick Zisa