Weedeater Engine

Discussion in 'RC Offroad Forum' started by TCable, May 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCable

TCable Member

Wal-Mart has a 20cc weedeater for $55. Anybody think you could squeeze it into a monster truck? Maybe have to go to 1/6 scale? I would love to try with a 1/8 scale, but not sure if I could strip enough junk off of it to get it to fit. Any ideas? Has anyone tried this yet?

I know it probably won't be as fast as a glow engine, but hey it will last forever, doesn't need a glow starter, easy to start, has a choke, requires little-to-no tuning and runs on gasoline (with 2-stroke oil). Oh yeah, one tank of gas will last like a month and you don't need to drain it.

Here is a link to the weedeater:
    http://www.weedeater.com/products/trimmers/gas/prod_FeatherliteLE.asp
  2. monsterrcbuilder04

monsterrcbuilder04 Active Member

you need to know the dimensions of the motor. i dont think it would fit without modification to the car. what kind of truck is it? you might have to extend the chassis or just make it wider
  3. pimp

pimp Active Member

it would prob fit in a big boat or something but i am almost poss. it wont in a monstertruck though
  4. redheat

redheat Member

Ya think
  5. monsterrcbuilder04

i've been thinking about doing it with my savage but i was going to get a longer chassis and making it wider. its all worth it considering the price of nitro around here.$25-$30 is way too much in my opinion
  6. TCable

TCable Member

7. monsterrcbuilder04

go to www.towerhobbies and look at a 20cc engine. they will have dimensions but for a different brand. it will still give you an example of the size
  8. redheat

redheat Member

Come on guys your talking about a hole different kinda hobby , weed eaters in trucks ?
  9. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

OK the engine is to big to kit into a 1/8 scale buggy/car/truck, the gas tank alone is gonna be pretty big! Hey REDHEAT what kinda engines do you think they use in 1/5 scale cars huh, they dont use glow powered! If you have a light chassis, but still strong you could get it to go faster then a nitro truck but probly not a car. There is a company that makes MGT Monster truck it is 1/5 scale and it will go 40+MPH! AND ITS A MONSTER TRUCK. I dont know if this is the correct spelling but there called zenith engines, and most of the larger scale boats use these kind of engines.
  10. redheat

redheat Member

Well what are we talking about now ,1/5 scale ,I couldnt care less what you drop into your truck,car or what ever you have. Im just saying that I dont think that it is practical to drop a weed eater motor in a 1/10 scale MT okay now if you find the need then go knock yourself out. Good luck to you
  11. TCable

TCable Member

I never even suggested putting something like that into a 1/10 scale. 1/8 is prolly too small also, but maybe a 1/6 scale?
    I went to tower hobbies and could not find a 20 cc, only the following (24cc):

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFKY5&P=0

Hmmm, 5.2 inches by 6.77 inches, still pretty large. How much smaller would a 20cc be?

This 1/6 has a 23 cc and is not much larger than a 1/8 scale, but $900 is steep:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJE09&P=ML

Where is the best place to look for a 1/6 scale kit?
  12. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

wow I thought that the only place to find the Traxxas monster buggy would be off of ebay. Totaly sweet!
  13. redheat

redheat Member

Has antone ever seen a Traxxas buggy that thing has got to be huge.
  14. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

ive seen comparison pictures and ya it is really huge@!
  15. pimp

pimp Active Member

i have seen 1 at a hobby shop they r pretty big but compared to the planes they r nothing
  16. monsterrcbuilder04

that thing looks sweet but its expensive
  17. novanitro

novanitro New Member

ok the only thing im wondering i know it can be fitted but how do you expect the flywheel and clucth to work ??? humm im wondering that
  18. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

I dont know how this guy did it but he took a weed eater engine and useing CAD software we made a chassis and a flywheel clutch bell and you name it and got it all to work. I read this in the back of RC Car Action mag but I am not hope to tell you wich issue
  19. dominator

dominator New Member

try to make a r/c go kart, out of a real go-kart
  20. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

ok I found the issue and I will type it allout on here the issue is of August 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.