Wednesday 9-27

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
1968 for me.. I actually started modeling in 1984 when I started working in a "real" job, that I had extra money to use.. :D But in 1968, my uncle took us to see a 16 x 16 Lionel O gauge setup - it was great - the owner had all the moving accessories and a huge real waterfall!! I was hooked.. all i could think of, was "I want one!!!" :D :D :D

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Bought a guy's Nscale train set, tracks and power supply at a garage sale for next to nothing in 1980. Everything got boxed up in 1982 and stayed packed away till 2005 when my kids begged me to get it out and to see what would still run. Now we've got a layout. So I guess I started (for real) in '05.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Christmas gift in 1977 I think... Stayed interested in it until about 1980 or so, and then not again until 2000 when we bought our first house, and my parents brought all those boxes they had been storing since childhood...

Andrew

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
2006. The second time around. I guess it was in the early 1980's when I was a kid that I first ran a model train; wasn't as interested then as I am now.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
2004 for me, I have always liked watching trains go by down the tracks. My grandpa had a layout in there old house I used to watch the trains go by. I was to young to help with anything but I guess that's when you could say I first got into trains. But I first started making my own layout 2 years ago.:D :)

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
1953, O'Misawa Machi, Honshu, Japan. Was teaching painting after hours in the enlisted men's club to earn some extra bucks, when a guy came up to me and asked if I'd ever done scenery for model railroads. I said no, but why? He then took me into the back of the building that I hadn't gotten around to exploring yet, and there was the largest HO layout I'd ever seen...and still is!

I started helping on the scenery (plaster of paris over screen) and da bug bit me! All the engines, and many of the cars were brass. I stayed with the layout until I was sent home and mustered out of the AF. Prior to this exposure, I had the usual Lionel set-up as a child.

Been in it ever since...and scenery is still my favorite aspect.:)

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I honestly don't know a particular "when" because model trains have been a part of my life from my earliest childhood memories. From home layouts to firehouse layouts around Baltimore every year at Christmas and home Christmas gardens, I've been surrounded by model trains. I've even had an eye for scale perspective since I was a kid, even separating Match box cars for their use in HO. Those memories are reflected in the layout I set up every year under our tree.

Attachments

• christmas.JPG
    christmas.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 55
C

Catt

The last time was 1978 and I haven't looked back since.The Grande Valley will be 28 years old this Christmas and is sort of going back to its roots as I am slowly planning a switching layout in HO to go with the N scale layouts.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
I got my first train set at 6 months (still have it too, and I turned 24 this year). Hard to belive, but I still even remember watching my dad take some aluminum foil and making a tunnel out of it for the train to run under. I've had some sort of toy trains my whole life, but started building a layout a year ago.

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
Helped my dad with his extensive Lionel layout from 1958 til 1969. Graduated high school that year and didn't get back until 1984 or 1985 in HO. Train bug is big in my family, two brothers split dad's stuff (one added it to his own extensive collection) my third brother models in HO. I'm the only one with a permanent layout although my HO brother just built a RR room.