Wednesday 10-25; What’s On Your Bench/Layout?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Good morning folks

I am still gluing pink foam down to fill in gaps around the dioramas.

Time for a reality check; If you were to go the layout or work bench what project or projects are sitting there waiting to be completed/

The layout has a bunch but the current one is the Hillside and Grain Elevator Extension. I have the rock outcroppings and most of the contouring done. However, I may need to begin some of the mountain and one of the spur lines before I can continue.

On the workbench there is a P2K CNJ caboose, an Atlas ARHS Reading two-bay hopper, and a Kadee CNJ covered hopper that I need to finish weathering. I also have some half painted LPP’s. I have two coal loads to make; one for the Atlas hopper and another for a Accurail three-bay CN hopper.

Cornreaper

Apr 26, 2006
Barrie, ON
Most of the layout is now masked off for eventual track painting, (If it would stop raining!) but sitting on the layout would be a half-assembled DPM kit, and a bunch of shiny, newly acquired capacitors taken from some junked pc boards that seem to be tailor-made to become the innards of a yet-to-be-scratchbuilt N-Scale brewery.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Well, the workbench is part of the benchwork and the benchwork to the layout is still not finished, so I guess what I have on my workbench is my layout. I think. wall1 :D

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Workbench/Dining room table--- My partially completed Campbell Scale Models engine house. Boy! it sure takes alot of time to get that sheetmetal siding cut to size.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
There's the Cambria electrical sub-station that's been laying around half finished now for probably close to a year. And the Kato transmission towers that I started three years ago. :eek:ops: (let's face it, when I finish one of these, I'll have to finish the other) There's the three SF F7's and the three SF EMD's that I have taken apart but decided I wouldn't rebuild them because the shells were to badly damaged. They've just been moved back to the spare parts cabinet. :wave:

We won't count the half-dozen or so building kits that I got at a thrift shop in various stages of being assembled, and that I disassembled them so I can rebuild them like they should have been in the first place. They're stacked in the closet next to my workbench along with maybe another two-dozen structure kits that I haven't even touched yet.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Now let's talk about the unfinished stuff on my layout....announce1 announce1

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
A list of projects too long to type out in full...! Rolling stock and building kits, partly finished projects that I need parts (or more time) for, track to be laid, etc, etc.

My woodworking bench is currently home to a temporary switching layout - a mock up more or less of what will go on the modules when their frames/foam decking are complete.

Andrew

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
I was affraid I'd come across a thread like this soem day ,sign1 well
I'm lloking at a gaping hole in the bench work where a waterfall is suppose to drop into a river, I got one section of about 12" of track where I thought I'd try some grey medium ballast to see how it looked , stiil have to paint the track ( not sure on color) , I have 3 more spurs to add in , a stack of 12 kits to build , some dirt roads to figure out how I'm going to do 2 steam engines that are apart because I wasn't sure which one I put the lenz decoder in and which had the bachmann, I have to wire in another of them 6 wire rj12 face plates, have to figure on how I'm going to mount the digtrax chief command station under the bench edge, fill in the gaps in the bench with plaster where the diarammas popped in ... should I go on Tom? Any suggestions are welcome :wave:
Looking on the brite side though I did get the Hares wired in for auto throw.

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
Workbench or layout...it's sometimes hard to tell the difference. One's just bigger than the other. I'm in the middle of disassembling some vehicles that I got from Wally World so I can Dullcote them and add passengers. I'm painting some LPB's and I am weathering a half dozen freightcars.

L

lester perry

Still working on

My scratch built competition is still in process and scenery around it. Also scenery on short line. Still have 2 weeks before open house maybe I will make it, maybe not.
Les

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I just finished a project for the first time in years! I built a little passenger shelter from a kit, and found that Interurban had just done the same thing.
So now I need a new project. I'm looking at one of:
my scratch built lumber yard -- started for a contest 6 or 8 years ago -- I came in second or last to an experienced builder but I ran out of time and hit a problem. (second of two entries)
an engine house. probably save for the train show,
a set of Edinburgh tram cars.

Attachments

• shelter1495.jpg
    shelter1495.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Shelter1497.jpg
    Shelter1497.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 50

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Very Cool David!

On my workbench (which is currently my living room coffee table) has a few unfinished scratchbuilds. One is the my challenge project that still needs a few finishing touches, the second is water tower im still working on...but that should be finished in the next few weeks. However there are a couple of FINISHED projects there too. One is my HO firehouse and the other is my first residential house!

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
It seems as if we all tend to bite off more than we can chew...I'm still not finished with changing all my lights from incandescent to fluorescent, although I'm 3/4's of the way there. Enough to allow me to work on finishing up the "backside" of the layout to the point where it might be callrd "finished" - since trackwork will run across it making it very difficult to do anything there once this nre trackage is installed. I'm finishing the two sidings-track painted, ballasted, scenery mostly finished, adding a few details; lumber yard & freight station in place, just need to add interior lighting. Then on to the mainline-paint & ballast, add details & call it good....
On the work bench...I don't want to think about that just yet.
BTW, where can I get working people to bring the scenes to life? All my previous layouts have been uninhabited, but I believe adding little people can make a big difference.