Wed 10-11 What's You Got?

Discussion in 'The Caboose' started by TomPM, Oct 11, 2006.

1. TomPM

TomPM Another Fried Egg Fan

Good morning folks

The only modeling that got done last night was sealing some vehicles I weathered the night before.

What are the most common cars on your layout?

On my layout the most common cars are boxcars followed closely by open hoppers for coal. Next would be covered hoppers for cement and grain.
  2. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

It's Reefer madness over here on The Mission Valley and Pacific! :rolleyes: :D

3. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

I would have to say Hopper Cars since my railroad will mainly be a coal hauler.:D
  4. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

without a doubt, 50' box cars here:thumb: . :D -Deano
  5. chessie4155

chessie4155 Active Member

Boxcars, then covered hoppers.
  6. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

At the moment nothing, I haven't made any yet is why. After I get more scenery done I will get to it though.
    I plan on 2 or 3 ore cars. One baggage passenger combo, one flat car, one or two boxcars, one fancy schmancy parlour car and maybe some others. Not much really. :)
  7. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

a lot of my cars are scratchbuilt... but hoppers win by 1 or 2 :D :D
  8. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Boy it's close. Just about evenly split between box cars and hoppers. If I include cattle cars, then the box cars come out ahead, if I include the oar cars, then hoppers pull even again.
  9. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

It's the 1930s on my modules - most common car = outside braced boxcar in oxide red.

10. Catt

Catt Guest

Covered hoppers on my rails.:D Then boxcars by the dozens.
  11. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Of all things, passenger cars...with 35+, that accounts for at least 30% of my rolling stock. My favorite, flatcars, don't even rate a close second with seven. How'd that happen?:oops:
  12. LoudMusic

LoudMusic Member

Brown box cars ;)

But I'm like shaygetz, I like flatbeds. They allow for the most variation in loads and uniqueness. I like smaller ones, 40 and 50 footers. And just classic wooden decks. Though I do have a four truck low center heavy-hauler flat car. We used to put a combine machine on it.
  13. santafewillie

santafewillie Member

Boxcars, and covered hoppers also.
  14. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Hmmm...Boxcars..Lots an' lots of boxcars...
  15. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

If you count passenger cars as a single category, that's what I have.
    In freight cars, it's the 4-wheel open mineral wagon (gondola) followed by the container car (4 wheel, one 20' container).
  16. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Boy, this one surprised me when I did a count! Of my models of cars of real railroads, boxcars were by far the most numerous, at 97. Reefers and gondolas each clocked in at 15, while hoppers numbered 10, as did combined passenger and express cars. Counting cars of my own free-lance roadnames, I also included cars sold to others, as I know many of them are still existing. (The total of each type sold is shown in brackets). Totals were as follows: boxcars- 39 (24), hoppers- 32 (7), reefers- 23 (4), gondolas- 16 (5), and covered hoppers- 16 (13). The most surprising was passenger and express cars, at 38 (42). Maybe it's time to thin things out again.:rolleyes:

17. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

You may send any excess to:

Andrew c/o
    19 Teeve....

;) :):D sign1