Web Site Advise Wanted!!!

As many of you know from a previous thread, http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=24639 I had closed my web site and reorganised due to the ultra high cost of the site. That site was based on simple templates and point and click!
The new site I am developing is based on html, and I am one heck of a plumber, BUT, web development is new to me!.

So, I know that many of you are more comfortable with sites than I am, and I am here to ask your advise!

Here is the new site as it is, as of today! http://www.modelrailstructures.com

I still need to add the products and create a check out system! (nightmare hamr )

What I would like to know is:

1) How is this showing up on your moniters? ( Mine is huge.) and it looks like there is a lot of space on the right hand side.

2) The font is Franklin Gothic, the program says not all systems can read this text? How does it look?

3) I have imbeded audio in the pages, is that a distraction or is it ok?

Anyway, I am trying and any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks so much!

David

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
1) Yes, there is a lot more space on the right hand side. My screen resolution is 1024x768.

2) I can see the font just fine. I'm not sure if you're using .CSS to support the forced font, but that's always an option if you aren't.

3) Personally, I don't like audio embedded websites. If you're going to feature that on your pages, you should also offer the option to turn it off.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
stripes said:
What is .CSS ????

Thanks for the advise so far!

David

.CSS = cascading style sheets - it allows you to specify fonts. If the user doesn't have that font on his/her system, it will default to something else, like Arial or Verdanna if it's a sans serif or Times if it's a serif.

There IS more space on the right, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. A lot of people still have smaller monitors and keeping things on the left will make it easier for them to see your whole page, without having to scroll to the right. Scrolling right is a design no-no because most people can't be bothered to do it.

Hope this helps.

Val

65GASSER

Jun 12, 2006
Malvern, AR
It looks pretty good here! To be honest the horn scared he crap outta me when I opened the page. I wasn't expecting it! Haha! I could do without the sound too, but some may like it! Plus I usually have my computer muted anyway.
I think it looks good! If your selling those lawnmowers, I'll take a few! :wave:

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Site looks fine to me. I'm on a 17" monitor. The font is defaulting to Arial for me but I'm less impressed with fonts than actual site content. Ditch the embeded noises, though. They can be annying every time you flip to a new page. Especially if you're listening to music or something else while you surf.

liven_letdie

Mar 22, 2005
Turlock, CA
www.downthelinetrains.com
The site is off to a great start. I don't care for auto sound, usually is distracting and scary as mentioned previously. I would like it if it were there as an option though. So if i saw the sound bar i could hit play and see what you were trying to get me to listen to. Just a thought.

Cory

RonP

Member of the WMRC
If you are interested in making a full site easy try

There are a few package sites that are ready made including http://www.joomla.org/
and the forum package that the-gauge.com uses called http://www.vbulletin.com/

You need what are called mysql database access for your site but it is the most painless thing in my eyes to install. Often if your webhost has given you cpanel access you will have fantastico in the list of links and this offers a wide variety of extras for your site including helpdesk to chat with potential customers, galleries forums, CMS, etc etc...

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
David: i got a message that I need to sownload more features to display all the features. I'm always wary of that because I don't know what sort of features people are trying to install on my machine. I didn't get any sounds, thank goodness.
I didn't have any horizontal scroll, but the vertical was about 3 screenfuls.

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
David, looking good. Only thing... lose the sound effects. They don't ADD to your product and they are annoying, I loggrd in at midnight and my wife is sleeping in the next room. Had to jump for volume control. :curse:

The layout of the page is fine, waiting patiently to see what you will be carrying. Want to place another order. :D

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
stripes said:
As many of you know from a previous thread, http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=24639 I had closed my web site and reorganised due to the ultra high cost of the site. That site was based on simple templates and point and click!
The new site I am developing is based on html, and I am one heck of a plumber, BUT, web development is new to me!.

So, I know that many of you are more comfortable with sites than I am, and I am here to ask your advise!

Here is the new site as it is, as of today! http://www.modelrailstructures.com

I still need to add the products and create a check out system! (nightmare hamr )

What I would like to know is:

1) How is this showing up on your moniters? ( Mine is huge.) and it looks like there is a lot of space on the right hand side.

2) The font is Franklin Gothic, the program says not all systems can read this text? How does it look?

3) I have imbeded audio in the pages, is that a distraction or is it ok?

Anyway, I am trying and any advice will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks so much!

David

1. Looks good and clean. Not a lot of clutter. I have a 19" so mine is a larger monitor.

2. :thumb:

3. The sound scared me. I didnt like it. I always think of spam when I hear that sort of thing and usually close the link right away. I know, its not always spam. :eek:ops:

What about a back ground change? Maybe something else? The color isnt appealing to me. I hope that helps. :D

Site

60103 said:
David: i got a message that I need to sownload more features to display all the features. I'm always wary of that because I don't know what sort of features people are trying to install on my machine. I didn't get any sounds, thank goodness.
I didn't have any horizontal scroll, but the vertical was about 3 screenfuls.

David, I think it was because of the fonts, there should not be any other reason for downloads being needed!

Thanks Ron, I will check those site out!

The sound will be deleted today! :wave:

David

Connor

Jan 25, 2005
You might want to fix your titles of your pages, helps with search engine placement. Currently the main index page's title is Blank

web site

Connor said:
You might want to fix your titles of your pages, helps with search engine placement. Currently the main index page's title is Blank

That is being worked on. In my site builder the home page is called "Index html "
When I try to rename it as home I get a window that says the page might not be accessable if I change it. I am trying to figure out what to do?????
wall1
David

UPDATE!! I figured out how to fix that blank, so all the titles should look better now!