Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Terry J, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Terry J

Terry J New Member

What is the composition of Dirty Thinner that is used for weathering? Is it a mixture of specific compounds? I would appreciate any information w.r.t. Dirty Thinner.

2. belg

belg Member

Terry most of the weathering that I've done is with 80% alcohol and india ink. I usually make up two batches one with only a few drops of ink per cup of alcohol and another with twice as much for a darker wash. Make sure the ink you buy is BLACK as some say black but when thinned they look blue I would recommend that what ever you buy and mix that you test it on something scrap first. The other method I've heard described is just to use your dirty water from cleaning your paint brushes ,but if your working on wood be careful because adding to much water could cause things to warp. If your looking to use thinner be very careful as this is very flammable and I think very dangerous. Hope this was helpful.
  3. DanRaitz

DanRaitz Member

Dirty Thinner is just that!:D
    It is the bottle of thinner that you use to clean your paint brushes.
    It is usally a blackish color, from all the different paint pigments suspended in it. You can use it as a stain on stripwood.
  4. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

I like the inkahol mix for wood, black and or brown latex apint/water/drops of dishsoap for plastic.
  5. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Enamel thinner works fine (e.g. HUMBROL)

I use a lot of enamel colors (HUMBROL paint) for detail painting. For cleaning the brushes I have always two bottles ready.

In bottle no. 1 most of the pigments still in the brush are washed off, so the thinner gets very dirty. It turns into a brownish-blackish sauce.
    Then the second bottle is used for really cleaning the brush, staying almost clean.

After a while the 'juice' in the first bottle can be used for a weathering wash. It is good for weathering greasy or sooty surfaces, but not for the simulation of earth/sand-dust.

The advantage of using enamel thinner is that you can apply it to wood as well as to plastics and metal. (No distortion of wood like with water based washes!)
    However, good ventilation is important, and smoking is definitely a no-no! (With enamel thinners the fire hazard is much less than with lacquer (nitro) thinners.) I prefer to do this part of weathering at the open window or even on the balcony.

When the weathering bottle is nearly empty I pour the contents of the bottle no. 2 into bottle 1 and refill no. 2 with clean thinner.

6. Terry J

Terry J New Member

I would like to thank each of you for your very prompt reply to my question about dirty thinner/weathering. Now I can proceed a little further into the hobby.

Thank you again,

7. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Terry, if you use the latex paint wash, or use latex paint for other steps of weathering, like drybrushing, be sure to "lock it in" with dullcoat once you are happy wioth the appearance, else, it may get washed away by a later step.
  8. CN1

CN1 Active Member

I use water-based paint, a 3 different size paintbrush and lots of patience:rolleyes: