Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Dashdriver, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Dashdriver

Dashdriver Member

What is the best method and product for authentic weathering of rolling stock, loco's and buildings?
  2. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

I generally use chalks. I have a weathering chalk set that I got 20 years ago but I don't remember the brand. they are very light almost like colored charcol. Anyway I use a stiff paintbrush and scrub some of the chalk onto it and them apply to the peice that's to be weathered. After I spray some dullcote or clear flat finsh on to seal. The dulcote tends to take some chalk back off so repeated steps are recommended.
    I'll also use dry brushing to get a streaking effect.
    Here are some of the finishes I get with chalks:
    The saddle tanker has black and grey chalk on the boiler and rust to streak up the cab roof

The 'weeping' uinder the windows on the warehouse were done with chalks

Finally the wood on the mine was weathered before assembly, staining it with a mix of grey and raw umber acrylic paints (thinned of course)
  3. Can you pick up the chalk at any hobby/craft store? And is there any brand to stay away from?
  4. C&O Steve

C&O Steve New Member

Would regular colored chalk do?
  5. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

I got mine as specific weathering chalk from the hobby shop. You could try searching walthers to see what they have.
  6. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I use a combination of powdered chalks and acrylic craft paints like those sold at walmart.>>> I powder my chalks by scraping along the length of pastel chalk sticks with the edge of an Xacto knife.

7. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

8. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Thanks Wayne! Beat me to it! So many people have expressed interest in weathering a seperate forum focusing on the topic was added this year. You will find many examples of weathering techniques there. :thumb: