Weathering?

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
How do you weather your rolling stock? Paint? Charcoal? A little of both?

I bought the MRR book "Basic Painting and Weathering" and they describe both techniques. For N scale, I figured charcoal would be easier, but I couldn't find any in the colors I wanted. What gives the best results?

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Mostly Rust-All. Great product. I think its off the market now. I'm running low and haven't been able to find any. The guy at my LHS said it might have something to do with the chemical content(Alchohol?)
Oh well.......

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I'm running low and haven't been able to find any. The guy at my LHS said it might have something to do with the chemical content(Alchohol?)

OK, OK, I'll stop drinking already! aussie ............................................not.

There are more than enough different methods of weathering, Airbrush, drybrush, chemical, pastels, etc. etc. Each is as good as the next, it's a matter of which technique is easiest for you to use.
Whichever, there is also a need for observation. Look, and see how things weather, and to what degree. You will see boxcars (RBOX, Railbox comes to mind) that look like they are fresh out of the factory, and then, the same paint, and car style that looks like the third res******** from the scrap heap!
Buildings will weather according to their construction materials, and age in the location. Rolling stock weathering will also vary with use, age, and most often visited location.
Variety........amount of weathering, types of trees, colors of grass/leaves/weeds, variety is the key to most realistic appearance.

I use pastels. I bought a set of probably 30 or so colored chalks from an art supply store. I scrape off some with a hobby knife, dampen a paintbrush and apply. The nice thing about the chalks is, if you hate the results, just wash it off. goldtoth1 Good for a beginner. Once you get the hang of it, you can 'graduate' to paint.

Wabash Banks

Mar 11, 2005
Indiana
I use the artists chalks also. I bought an earth tone pack. Great for some yellows on rocks, rust of differing ages, browns for dust to dirt, and black. I love the set of them!