Weathering

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I use either diluted acrylic paints or used thinner as a wash, pulling the colors down in streaks. I then follow up with a dusting of powdered pastel chalks, then fix it to the car with Testor's Dulcote. I paint the trucks and wheels with a combination of Testor's Rust and Rubber paints.

Attachments

• hopper1.jpg
    hopper1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 241

Rusty Spike

Dec 5, 2003
Mankato, MN
Visit site
I have my kids (age 9 and 6) scratch the car first and then sand the decals with 150 grit paper. Then I give them a dry brush of various browns, greys and blacks (a little tiny squirt of cheap acrylic paint from the craft shop on a paper plate - dab a little with the brush then brush it out on a piece of newspaper until almost no paint is coming off). We concentrate the black along the bottom of the car to mimick the grease and grime.

For the patchy rust on the hopper below - I took a piece of plane white paper, folded it to mask the whole car and then tore out the rough edged shapes from the top corner down towards the wheels. I then sprayed rust colored spray paint from a distance. I think that worked great too and it took less than 3 minutes to do it.

Otherwise, practice, make mistakes, see what you like and look at lots of other people's work or at the web. O good search on ebay is "weathered ho". There are some real artists selling their work here.

See ya, enjoy.

Attachments

• RipRapWCars.JPG
    RipRapWCars.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 239

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
With this little fellow, I first painted him in engine black, then decaled. For weathering I used black chalk over the entire engine, fading the paint and decals. I dry-brushed rest over the cylinders, smokebox front, pilot, and other low-lying details, then I sealed it in testors dulcote. You can't see it very well, but while the dulcote was still wet on the top of the loco, I sprinkled some black chalk dust back from the smoke stack to simulate a dirty running engine, showering ash out of it's stack.
aar.sized.jpg

I generally use chalks and drybrushing for weathering, but I'm looking at getting into washes

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
Went to a weathering workshop the other Saturday afternoon, one of the guys used a technigue I havent seen before, He mixed up two teaspoons of sugar with water to make a sticky washand painted it onto the car next he flicked on chalk powder of diferent shades allowed it to dry and air brushed a coat of Dulkote over the whole car the resut was stunning

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
There are some true artists of weathering on this forum. I'm not one of them but I like to get my cars looking like they've been on the road. I use artist's chalks, browns mostly. I scrape chalk powder on the car with an exacto knife...rub it in with my finger,, and then use a brush to remove excess and create a more subtle look. I try to brush more off the top to simulate road dirt and dust coming up from the tracks and adhering to the lower part of the car.

For the grafitti, I use white-out to block out the letters and then outline them with felt tip markers. Then I add chalk weathering to tone it down. Here are a couple of cars I stuck on the scanner.
Ralph

Attachments

• weatheredcars.jpg
    weatheredcars.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 177

CharlesH.

Jul 31, 2004
my house
I usually mix acrylic paint until I get a nice rusty color, then use a very stiff brush and paint streaks on a car's side. Then I sand a very light yellow pastel chalk and apply the powder on the car's bottom to simulate settled dirt (although sometimes I paint on some "mud" on). Either that, or i simply pat the car with a sponge dipped in a mixture of alcohol and black india ink.

(sorry, I haven't scanned any pictures!)