Weathering (Rolling Stock) Woes

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by josh0351, Nov 30, 2006.

1. josh0351

josh0351 New Member

I’ve been reading weathering tips, tricks and techniques from various tutorials and blogs for what seems like ages now, and just started weathering efforts on my rolling stock. My first attempt on a stock car turned out pretty darn good:thumb: ! My latest efforts have not gone so well, with “trial and error” the main theme! :oops:

I’ve been working on a very cheap ($2.50) UP yellow box car, but after no less than half-a-dozen attempts, I still am right back at square one from a weathering standpoint (and of course after so many futile tries, the lettering on the car has almost completely worn off). :curse:

I believe the crux of my problem revolves around the shiny, plastic finish of the car, devoid of any finish paint (*typical on higher-end cars) with exception to the top of the car, which is really the only portion that has faired well throughout the numerous weathering attempts. Even with dullcote, I don’t attain the desired and realistic finish. I’ve all but given up and moved on to other cars, but am still stubbornly trying to get that perfect weathered look. (*I suppose if I was not so much of a ‘perfectionist’ it would be all right!).

I might just repaint the entire car with a flat-paint, work it with a ‘green monster’ to dull the shiny plastic finish (*but run the risk of marring some of the detailed parts, such as the door latches and the likes), or just scrap it (at $2.50 that might not be a huge loss).
    (*Heck, I even considered kit-bashing it into a mobile home or other track-side structure.)

I’ll continue trying various things to get it right and post the winning combination with pictures if I happen upon it:rolleyes: . In the meantime, if anyone has any tips on overcoming a very uncooperative shiny plastic (UP yellow) finish, I’d be open to any suggestions…..
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

If you are thinking about repainting anyway, get some of the model spray paints (grey or other "neutral" colour) and PRIME it. The model paint has very fine pigment which won't mask details. Just make sure that you wash the car and air dry it before painting to make sure that the paint sticks.

You can also try the Krlyon-type spray bombs from the hardware store. I know a few guys have used these on structures with good success.

Both these options should give you a very dull/flat finish to weather and/or letter with dry transfers (note that decals require a glass finish for best results...!).

In terms of pictures, please post any and all with descriptions - helps us all learn! ;) :D

3. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

One thing you might try, and you have to be careful with this, is washing it down with alcohol. Try a little on the inside of the car first and see how the plastic reacts. The alcohol will sometimes fade out tthe lettering too, but not always.
  4. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

It almost sounds as if the car is unpainted, except of course, for the lettering. Is the inside of the body shell the same colour as the outside? Unpainted plastic, even after being Dulcoted, is not very receptive to most weathering techniques. Andrew's suggestion to prime it (after a thorough washing and rinse) is a good one, as most primers meant for plastics bond well to most types of plastic. This will also give you a good surface for your colour of choice.

5. josh0351

josh0351 New Member

Exactly – unpainted cheap-o shiny plastic box car. Might have to consider priming it / re-painting it...
  6. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I had this problem on the weekend. I was weathering a stock car - trying to simulate the lime disinfectant spray around the lower half of the car. That went reasonably well, but when it came time to soot up the roof (I run steamers only...!), the craft paint simply would not stick.

The problem is that this is a Great Northern stock car molded in red plastic, rather than painted. For some reason the paint on the sides stuck ok, but the roof is too slippery.

I will seal in what I have done with a coat of dullcoat, and hopefully this will give enough tecture for the roof weathering to stick properly.

7. CAS

CAS Member

I have been having the same problems weathering on some old tyco rolling stock. Just using these for pratice. The bodies are solid color plastic, with logo's painted on. No type of paint, AIM powders, and pastel chalks stick. I think i will spray a primer, then repaint them. just to see if it makes a difference.