Weathering powders

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by hickstmj, Aug 4, 2008.

1. hickstmj

hickstmj Marcie

I tried my hand at weathering the roof on a structure this weekend. My husband said it looks good but I got it backwards. I have rust steaks coming down from the roof vent pipes, he says it should be "clean streaks" below the pipes. What do ya'll think?
  2. UP SD40-2

UP SD40-2 Senior Member

Marcie:wav: , from the way you describe it, i think i would disagree with your husband, but without seeing pics of it, its really hard to say:winki: .

is there any way you could post a picture of it?:confused:
  3. nachoman

nachoman Guest

Any way you could post a pic? I am assuming this is a building with a steel roof?

4. hickstmj

hickstmj Marcie

I guess we are both right. He was thinking of the "white" streaks down from the vents, I was doing the rust streaks. They are both there. I guess I need to do some white powder first & then the rust streaks or is there a better way. My technique needs a lot of fine tuning. Any advice will be appreciated.

Attached Files:

5. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

I really admire your use of photos of the house roof as a reference to see what the real world looks like. Nothing like gaining insights from the real thing. I'm thinking, however, that the metal corrugated roof of your model unlike your roof shingles would likely develop rust streaks as you've created. Free handing streaks with a brush can be a little challenging and may lead to somewhat curvy streaks. I've had some success straightening my streaks by using a file card or similar objects as a mask or straightedge while painting.

I think you're looking pretty good there! I like to brush chalks on roofs to dull them up too.

6. hickstmj

hickstmj Marcie

Thank you. I am going to wash off what I did & try again.