Weathering powders?

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by KCS, Nov 28, 2006.

1. KCS

KCS Member

announce1 Anyone here use AIM product's weathering powders? If so are they worth getting and are they easy to use?
  2. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Great question...sorry I can't answer it...I use artist chalks bought at Michael's that have about 24 colors. So far they work fine...but I'd like to know if anyone used AIM too.
  3. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

I use the AIM powders and like them alot. I balked at first, due to the perceived high cost = I bought the 8 pack for a little less than 30 bucks. Came with black, white, dirty yellow, 3 shades of rust, 2 shades of brown. I didn't know it at the time, but the amount of powder you get will pretty much last a lifetime.

Typically I use washes of water based paint first, and then use the powder for the final touches. You can really do alot with those powders, from very subtle to "in your face!" You can also use them to cover up botched paint jobs:) .

I definitely recommend them.
  4. KCS

KCS Member

Thanks Gary:thumb: . The prices of that set of powders from them on the net is $33 plus s&h. Herc, how much did you giv for the set of powders you got at Michael's? If they ar cheap then I might start with that just for something to play around with and get the feel of using powders/chalks before I even touch my rollingstock. I think I'll hire a professional:rolleyes: for my locomotives because I'm afraid to touch them. :D Thanks guys.
  5. Gary S.

Gary S. Senior Member

One thing I don't know is whether the AIM powders are any better than any other powdered chalk. The AIM stuff is all I've tried.

Supposedly, the AIM powders have some additive to make them stick better than normal chalk. I have noticed that my white powder doesn't stick near as well as the rust colors.
  6. KCS

KCS Member

Yea, I noticed somewhere that I read something about them having some kind of "adhesive" in them. That's what I was really wondering about.
  7. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

KCS, with chalks [unlike paint] if you don't dulcote it they can be removed if you mess it up. So add the chalk and don't touch them and see if you like it.
    John allen ue to do that. No one was allowed to touch a loco because of that.

Hope that helps. I suck at painting myself but I have applied ashes with a brush on my locos to dull the shine. It works ok. :)
  8. RobMack

RobMack New Member

Pastel chalks (available at Michael's) are decent. They offer two sets one bookende by black and white with the whole gray scale in between. The other is the earth tones. Each set casts about $12.00-$13.00.

I personally prefer Bragdon Weathering powders. While their more expensive Bragdon Powders adhere whereas pastels will fade. Also Dullcote cannot be applied with effectiveness to pastels and is not necessary to use on Bragdon Powders.

Good luck,

9. 65GASSER

65GASSER Member

I use Bar Mills weathering powders. Very nice, they have a waxy adhesive as well. The more you rub the more it sticks. I can handle the loco too and it won't smudge, smear, or come off. I'll post a pic later.
  10. RobMack

RobMack New Member

I knew Bar Mills offered weathering powders but didn't know about their adhesiveness.

11. 65GASSER

65GASSER Member

12. KCS

KCS Member

Wow, that look's pretty good. Although I messed up a really nice Atlas Dash 8-40B. I'm going to have to replace the truck frames fuel tank sheel and everything that got hit with a wash. Only thing still good is the frame motor and everything that was under the shell.