Weathering order ?

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by Biased turkey, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

Y would like to weather a boxcar using the following techniques not necessarily in that order:
    1) A very diluted spray of the original color ( in my case, Polly Scale acrylic F414354 Special oxide red for a Canadian National boxcar ) to fade the lettering
    2) A grimy black wash ( acrylic ) or India ink to get an overall grungy look
    3) A very diluted light gray spray ( acrylic ) at the bottom to simulate dirt
    4) Some oil paints ( burnt umber, burnt sienna and raw umber ) for the rust.
    5) Use a white artist's crayon at the bottom of the letters to simulate oxidized lettering paint

Could someone please tell me the proper order to apply those 5 techniques ?

2. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Well, if I were doing it, I'd do your Step 5, the chalking lettering, first, followed by Step 1, fading with a light overspray of the car colour. (If you reverse the order of these two steps, the chalked paint will be brighter than the lettering, not very likely in real life.) I'd follow this with Step 4, the rust effects, followed by Step 2, the black wash, which will tone-down the rust effects. Finish up with Step 3, which will help to soften all of the effects, and blend them together.
    However, that's not to say that my way is the right way - if you want to try a different order of doing this, but don't want to louse up a perfectly good car, paint a piece of cardboard with the car colour, mask or cut it into car-size pieces and apply a couple of spare words or letters left-over from a lettering set. Do each "car" in the order that you think might work best, then compare the results. Your personal "technique" may give you different results than another person would obtain using the same order of application, as weathering is pretty much subject to each "artist's" interpretation. ;):-D

3. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

Oil paints....?? Do you mean pastels or paint..? Oil paint can take several days/weeks to set up.....Not something you'd want if you intend to handle the cars in a shorter period...
  4. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

Thanks Gus and Wayne for taking some of your valuable time to reply.

Wayne', your weathering sequence is very logical and makes a lot of sense ( specially about step 5 ).
    My other ( and related ) concern is about mixing acrylic and oil paints. Is it OK to paint a coat of acrylic over a ( dried of course ) coat of oil paint and vice versa ?

Gus, I'm talking about pure oil paint, not oil pastels. I agree, oil paints can take a couple of weeks to dry. I'm aware of that fact because I did some rust test using oil paints.
    Time is not a problem , I'm freshly retired :smile:

5. e-paw

e-paw Member

I don't think the order of the steps is so important as long as it looks good enough to make you happy.
  6. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Almost missed the question. :oops: If the previous coat of paint is fully dried, there should be little problem adding a subsequent coat of a different type of paint. An exception would be any lacquer-based paint applied too heavily (I'm talking about by brush or as a wash) over almost any other type of paint. Applied with an airbrush, though, this should cause no further problem.