Weathering experiments

CAS

Apr 10, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Went to my LHS today and bought some Floquil railroad colors paint. Just a few bottles to start off. Rust, grime black, and railroad tie brown.

I first tried brushing the RR tie brown onto the ties and rails, it came out very very light, not very happy with the results. It didn't evn look like i painted them.
Then tried to weather a old box car, with the rust color. That also came out light.

I then grapped some acrylic paint i bought from Micheals. The brown i had looked very good on the trucks of my rolling stock. But the brown was to light of a brown for the ties. Rails looked ok. I used a autumn brown.

What method would be better to weather my trains, Chalk powder with a brush, or use the Floquil paints and apply more coats of paint?

I did do a searh for this, but not much luck. Or i can wait until i receive my copy of How to paint and weather.

Thanks, Cliff

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
CAS said:
What method would be better to weather my trains, Chalk powder with a brush, or use the Floquil paints and apply more coats of paint?
It's really six of one, half-dozen of the other. I would try out different methods and just use that gives you the results you want or that you feel the most comfortable with.

Bnsftrainnut

Oct 16, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
When it comes to weathering i thin my paint out 80-1 or even more that way if it comes out too light you can alwas go over it again and ad different contrast to the model

Dennis

Dilute, dilute, dilute. Too dark and and you're screwed. I use a 50 to 1 solution of water-based acrylic paint in an airbrush. Depending on how weathered I want a car, I'll use between 10 and 20 coats. Remember to let each one dry before applying the next. It's damn tedious, but you get exactly the results you want.

BTW, check out this month's MR for a great article on weathering.

CAS

Apr 10, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
Thanks for the replys,

I received my copy of basic painting and weathering today.

I tried the wash method with a brush, it came out a little dark but i like the look of it.

Thanks again, Cliff

dispatcher42

Jun 18, 2003
Vancouver BC
I also use the very thin paint method. I use Tamara Paints thinned with rubbing alcohol which can be carefully removed if it is not to your liking.