Weathering DPM Kits in N Scale

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by palmsprings2009, Jan 14, 2008.

1. palmsprings2009

palmsprings2009 New Member

Does anyone know how to weather DPM kits in n scale. The bricks are so small that I cannot get any mortar lines in and it is just too hard to paint each brick in n scale. Any ideas.

2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Hi John,

Welcome to The Gauge!

I have done a number of these in HO scale, and I think that the same techniques would be possible in N.

I usually prep the kit by washing, then air drying the parts on the sprue (if applicable).

Then, despite the usual brick colour of the plastic, I paint the whole piece anyway. Sometimes I prime it first, other times not. There are a few different ways you can do this, and get the mortar lines you want.

1) Paint the whole thing the colour of the mortar. Then dry brush the front faces of the brick carefully to avoid getting paint in the mortar lines. This is best done with a very stiff-bristled brush and very little paint. I like this approach, because you can subtly vary the colour over the building, much as you see in real life due to weathering, or bricks not being all exactly the same.

2) Paint the part the brick colour first. You can do this with a spray can, or dry brush as above. Then you create a really thin mortar colour wash and flow it onto the building. Before it dries, you wipe it off the faces of the bricks, leaving it more or less intact in the mortar lines.

There are also some commercial mortar products that may be suitable. I think one is "Roberts" or something like that. Have not tried it myself.

Hope that helps.

3. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Hi John, and :welcome1: to the Gauge.

I'm not sure how well it would work in N scale - it would depend on how deep the mortar lines are - but I've had good results in HO by first painting the assembled structure a suitable brick colour and letting it dry thoroughly. Suitable colours range from buff to boxcar red and even orange. On the structure shown in the first photo, the building was airbrushed with Floquil Reefer Orange. I then used a clean rag stretched over my fingers to apply pre-mixed drywall compound. You can get small containers of this at any hardware or home improvement store. Just rub the stuff all over the structure, paying close attention to the areas around raised details, like window sills and lintels. Allow the material to dry, then use a clean rag to wipe away the excess - it comes off easily, but you'll need to periodically shake the dust out of the rag as you work. The building in the photo was later weathered with a wash of thinned PollyScale paint, but you have to be careful to touch the brush to the walls as little as possible, or you'll remove the "mortar". I didn't bother with a clear overspray, as the building doesn't get handled after installation.

This one was painted a shade of boxcar red, then given several washes of well-thinned PollyScale in a very dark grey. (I didn't use the drywall mortar at all.)

For this one, the assembled structure was airbrushed light grey, then the bricks were drybrushed with a shade of boxcar red.

You can vary the appearance of brick structures by using different coloured washes to represent mortar, applied over the same basic brick colour, and also by varying the colour chosen for the brick. Something to keep in mind, too, is that some colours of brick were very regional in nature - it depended a lot on the clay available locally, and the majority of structures would likely be similar in brick colour, with most of the variations provided by weathering.

4. COX 47

COX 47 Member

Weathered DPM in N scale

I like to use $ Store red primer the come back with thinned craft paint and pastel chalks to finnish..Cox 47[​IMG]
  5. palmsprings2009

palmsprings2009 New Member

This is really great info that gives me a lot of new methods to try out!

6. iis612

iis612 Member

I am working on a DPM structure in HO. I read somewhere that you can take a grey grease marker or crayon over the unpainted model to create the mortar lines. At that point you will need to wipe off the brick faces. Some will stay in the low points of the brick face. Then using chalks, airbrush, and drybrush techniques to color the wall to your tastes.
    I have not tried this, so I can not speak to the outcome. The example photo in the article looked great.