Weathered well car

Discussion in 'Weathering Forum' started by jbaakko, Oct 30, 2008.

1. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

2. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

That look really nice. I like the sides...looks like many cars that I've seen traveling around.
  3. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

NICE Josh!! one day ill get around to weathering all my well cars too lol, ive weathered about 6 i think out of all the TTX wells i have lol
  4. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

It's a slow process even with such easy weathering! I actually ran out of dull cote, so I couldn't even start the 2nd one!
  5. TruckLover

LOL what chalks are you using? anything special? wheres a good place to get a good set with the good earth tones for weathering?
  6. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

I'm using Tamiya, they're around $10 per 3 pack of colors. Micromark has Doc O'Brien's powders, they're fairly inexpensive, certainly less then I paid.
  7. TruckLover

Thanks Josh :thumb: :mrgreen:
  8. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Adding reflective tape. I used some yellow reflective iron on tape from JoAnn Fabrics! After slicing to 1/32" the iron on transfer tape backing came off easy, allowing me to use Testors clear parts cement & window maker to glue the tape sections on. The reflection really does work, though its hard to photograph at such small scale. The tape does have one downside, the same as using actual reflective tape, in that its over scale for thickness, but I think I can live with it. It's easier to remove the adhesive backing on this product! I think its a tad lighter yellow the the prototype tape, but I'm not worried, since it reflects! If you notice it looks fairly white, that's the reflection action, its actually yellow, comparable in color to CNW Zito yellow. Now to find white tape, as JoAnn's only had yellow, pink & green.

9. TruckLover

Josh that is really cool!!! :mrgreen: :thumb:
  10. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

That really looks good, Josh. :-D If the thickness of the tape bothers you, you could file the face of the top chord on the car to inset the tape so it appears flush, but it looks good to me just the way it is.

11. cnw1961

cnw1961 Member

Very nice car, Josh. The reflective tape looks great :thumb:.
  12. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

I'm actually not too concerned, though some people may be. Its a fact of life to get real reflection, until someone figures out how to make reflective water slide decals!